AFL Players' HOF Worthiness

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
RichardBak

Re: AFL Players' HOF Worthiness

Post by RichardBak »

Andy Piascik wrote:I don't think the reason the HOF electors have not elected Tyrer is because of his tragic death. It's because he murdered his wife.
Meanwhile, double-murderer O.J.'s still busy looking for the "real" killer....
racepug

Post by racepug »

RichardBak wrote:I was a Hadl fan--and by extension, a Chargers fan (loved the uniforms and enjoyed watching Alworth, Lowe, Dickie Post, Gary Garrison, et al). However, my lasting impression is that he always seemed to flame out after a hot start. I looked up SD for 1966-68 to see if my memory served me right:

1966---started out 5-2-1, won only twice after that to finish 7-6-1
1967---started out 8-1-1, lost last 4 games to finish 8-5-1
1968---started out 8-2, lost 3 of last 4 to finish 9-5

Sure, the West was a tough division, but Hadl/SD rarely beat KC or Oakland. That said, it was always fun to watch those "bombs away" games involving the Chargers, Jets, and Raiders.

Hadl had many individual honors and he led the loop in various categories (TDP, yards, but also interceptions) but his only championship was as a back-up to Tobin Rote (who does belong in HOF) in 1963. As a starter he tanked in the '64 and '65 title games vs Buffalo. Overall, he's definitely HOVG, but IMO his lack of consistency and poor performances in big games with SD (and later the Rams) work against him being a truly serious candidate for Canton.
FWIW in that old football simulation that I like to run John Hadl was the 2nd highest-rated AFL QB (behind only Broadway Joe) in the "All-Time Greats" rosters (put together around 1989).
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Well, since Lenny the Cool won three AFL titles to Namath's one and Hadl's zero, I think he deserves the number one slot without too much haggling.

And anyone who wants to downplay Simpson's accomplishments because it makes them feel good has no idea ofvthe magnitude or context of his career and place in popular culture.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

JeffreyMiller wrote:Well, since Lenny the Cool won three AFL titles to Namath's one and Hadl's zero, I think he deserves the number one slot without too much haggling.

And anyone who wants to downplay Simpson's accomplishments because it makes them feel good has no idea ofvthe magnitude or context of his career and place in popular culture.
Oh, I'm not downplaying the Juice's accomplishments. I'm just saying he's a fucking double murderer.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

RichardBak wrote:
JeffreyMiller wrote:Well, since Lenny the Cool won three AFL titles to Namath's one and Hadl's zero, I think he deserves the number one slot without too much haggling.

Oh, I'm not downplaying the Juice's accomplishments. I'm just saying he's a fucking double murderer.
Wait, what?
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."