Mike Martz, by chance?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
74_75_78_79_

Mike Martz, by chance?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Of course HOVG is the only fraternity he has any chance at all to get into, out of it and Canton.

A case for him would be the simple he being behind 'Greatest Show' - his very first year as an OC resulting in greatly assisting Vermeil from 5-11, 4-12 to the Title! But as a HC, his significantly more talented team losing the SB, but vs Belichick/Brady obviously no crime (and though I like to think Vermeil himself topples NE in such an event, that still is no given). But also for Martz, was his general lack of success in succeeding years/stops with other teams as an OC.

Looks to me like a no-go, you guys ever inducting he into Hall of Very Good.
ChrisBabcock

Re: Mike Martz, by chance?

Post by ChrisBabcock »

No. There are plenty of other excellent coordinators who then had middling success as a head coach.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Martz was an excellent offensive coach but also didnt believe in protecting his QBs enough, which led to injuries by Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger. He replaced Warner for Bulger but never met playoff expectations and didnt run Faulk enough as well. As a HC, couldnt get his defenses to play well and struck out with high profile draft choices.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I don't think Martz is a viable choice for the HOVG. Not enough on the resume. He had two really good years and a third decent year as head coach, but I think there are better choices out there.