Gary Green

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Halas Hall

Gary Green

Post by Halas Hall »

Curious what people think about Gary Green's candidacy for the Hall of the Very Good. He was with the Chiefs from 1977 to 1983, then finished up with the Los Angeles Rams in 1984 and 1985. Nine seasons - I think five times All-Pro, Chiefs Hall of Fame. Is he an overlooked candidate? Thanks
Brian wolf

Re: Gary Green

Post by Brian wolf »

A feisty underrated cornerback for the Chiefs. I remember reading about him in early 80s, Football Digest, who loved him as a player. People would write in saying the magazine got his name confused with Gary Barbaro, to show how little known he was outside the Chiefs. Tough corner who got more recognized with the Rams. I believe he and Barbaro have HOVG cases ...
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Brian wolf wrote:A feisty underrated cornerback for the Chiefs. I remember reading about him in early 80s, Football Digest, who loved him as a player. People would write in saying the magazine got his name confused with Gary Barbaro, to show how little known he was outside the Chiefs. Tough corner who got more recognized with the Rams. I believe he and Barbaro have HOVG cases ...
I agree, but Barbaro went to the USFL in 1983, shortening his career. He was the AFC's Nolan Cromwell in the early 80s.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Teo wrote:I agree, but Barbaro went to the USFL in 1983, shortening his career. He was the AFC's Nolan Cromwell in the early 80s.
Yeah, Barbaro's career got derailed.

"In November 1983, after sitting out the entire NFL season in a contract dispute, Barbaro signed a three-year contract with the New Jersey Generals of the USFL.[1] In his only USFL season (1984), he was named to The Sporting News USFL All-Star Team. Barbaro tore his ACL in his left knee earlier in the season and missed four games, came back to play in the Generals' July 1984 USFL playoff loss to the Philadelphia Stars where he further injured the knee, ending his career.[1]"

He was kind of an athletic freak...he was the first player drafted from Nicholls and was the tallest safety in the NFL. Had a 102-yard INT TD return. Some big INT seasons, too.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Cant blame Barbaro for going after the money but had he stayed in the NFL, probably with another team, might have made the HOF but several Chiefs have cases like Cherry, Lewis and Ross. If only Blackledge could have played to his potential at QB ...
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Halas Hall wrote:Curious what people think about Gary Green's candidacy for the Hall of the Very Good. He was with the Chiefs from 1977 to 1983, then finished up with the Los Angeles Rams in 1984 and 1985. Nine seasons - I think five times All-Pro, Chiefs Hall of Fame. Is he an overlooked candidate? Thanks
Green was forced into an early retirement due to a neck injury. He wasn't big or fast, but he was tough, smart and seemed to benefit from a better supporting cast with the Rams. I would say he's an overlooked candidate, because if he hadn't retired early he could have played a few more years at a high level.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Brian wolf wrote:A feisty underrated cornerback for the Chiefs. I remember reading about him in early 80s, Football Digest, who loved him as a player. People would write in saying the magazine got his name confused with Gary Barbaro, to show how little known he was outside the Chiefs. Tough corner who got more recognized with the Rams. I believe he and Barbaro have HOVG cases ...
Nominate him this year and see what the HOVG committee thinks. :D
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Brian wolf wrote:Cant blame Barbaro for going after the money but had he stayed in the NFL, probably with another team, might have made the HOF but several Chiefs have cases like Cherry, Lewis and Ross. If only Blackledge could have played to his potential at QB ...
agreed brian my question is who has the better case cherry lewis or ross?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Robert, I think its Lewis ... when he left the Chiefs in 1994, the defense was affected. Ross, Barbaro and Cherry are underrated. Lewis and Wright for Denver, deserve the HOF in my opinion.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

and im completly on the lewis train too brian