Keith Jackson HOVG?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Gary Najman

Keith Jackson HOVG?

Post by Gary Najman »

TE Keith Jackson is very underrated. 3 first time All-Pro selections in his first three seasons, plus going to the Pro Bowl with three different teams. Had 10 TDs in his last season, when he also won a Super Bowl with the Packers. I think he is very deserving of the HOVG, if no the HOF:
JuggernautJ

Re: Keith Jackson HOVG?

Post by JuggernautJ »

JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

HOVG ... interesting how is catches declined over those first six seasons, but his average y/p/c went up ...
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

JeffreyMiller wrote:HOVG ... interesting how is catches declined over those first six seasons, but his average y/p/c went up ...
agreed its an interesting stat
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

JeffreyMiller wrote:HOVG ... interesting how is catches declined over those first six seasons, but his average y/p/c went up ...
Could it be, just possibly, that being on a Dolphins team with the "Marks Brothers" influenced the first stat (number of catches) while Dan Marino influenced the second (yards per catch)?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JuggernautJ wrote:
Could it be, just possibly, that being on a Dolphins team with the "Marks Brothers" influenced the first stat (number of catches) while Dan Marino influenced the second (yards per catch)?
I have a dissenting opinion on Keith Jackson.

He was regarded as one of the best TEs in college history at Oklahoma. He averaged something like 25 yards per catch over his college career with numerous TDs and was a big play guy, He was really hyped coming into the NFL. Yes, he made All Pro his first few years at Philly, but there wasn't big play potential. The Eagles offensive scheme was garbage, consisting of Cunningham running 10 yards or throwing 10 yards to Jackson & Byars. He might have gotten so beat up in Philly that the rest of his career was affected.

I always viewed Jackson as more 'crafty' than 'dominant'. He was smart and was reliable. His All Pros were due in part to a dearth of good TEs in that era. I remember him not doing anything his first year in GB, but then they paired him with Chumra in two TE sets in 96 and Jackson really excelled. Maybe I am selling Jackson short, but I don't think of him as HOF material...perhaps HOVG.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Agree---HOVG, not HOF.
Oszuscik

Post by Oszuscik »

I know when Ron Wolf traded for Jackson in '95 he expected him to achieve Hall of Fame status by playing with Favre. Unfortunately, Jackson really hates cold weather, and his holdout basically tanked his first season in Green Bay, especially with the emergence of Mark Chmura in his absence. He had a good year in '96, but then retired after the season. He was still young (31), so I'm not sure what his motivation was for retirement. If he kept going maybe he'd be HOF, but I'd have to say he's at best HOVG.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

A surefire HOVG career with his speed, similar to Jimmy Giles with Tampa, who mentored him in Philly ... The Dolphins made a mistake in letting him go but maybe he wore out his welcome there.
Once he won a SB in GB, was no longer motivated to play, though he could have made the HOF.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

I might be confused, but the way I remember it, Reggie White had a part in him coming to Green Bay.

I liked Jackson on the Packers. The Packers have had many above-average tight ends -- Paul Coffman, for example. Bubba Franks. With Jackson, I agree with what others have said -- HOVG caliber but not a HOF player.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael