1970s documentaries not made by NFL Films

Evan

1970s documentaries not made by NFL Films

Post by Evan »

I recently watched the 1976 TVTV documentary about Super Bowl X, and found it a very entertaining 45 minutes. I wonder if Noll and Landry gave TVTV permission for this kind of access, including talking to Jean Fugett during the Super Bowl?

Here's the link, lots of interesting stuff in there: http://deadspin.com/5981035/the-best-su ... 1512668997, another link to this with a review of sorts is at http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... as-cowboys, and it's on YouTube too.

FYI, in Harvey Martin's book Texas Thunder, he lambastes Fugett for sitting out in the Super Bowl, saying the Steel Curtain absolutely terrorized him. Martin also mentions the poignant scene after the game where he and college teammate Dwight White embrace, which is caught in the documentary.

So, any other 1970s documentaries that weren't done by NFL Films that come to mind? I'm sure there must have been some, right?
MatthewToy

Re: 1970s documentaries not made by NFL Films

Post by MatthewToy »

I had a series of videotapes that had interviews with a few Steelers that were originally produced in the 70s that had NFL Films highlights interspersed in them. I gave them to my brother because I found them pretty boring. Except for one part where Joe Greene was being candid about how he speaks with the media. Talking about making bad teams seem better than they really were. "But if they horsesh*t, they horsesh*t."
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

SBX/TVTV - quite a time-capsule/reality-TV precursor of a documentary; and non-NFL Films, mind you. Christopher Guest, and also Bill Murray - his gambling comment on Paul Hornung, asking Phyllis George "if you could marry a football player" question, and trying to annoy Johnny Unitas - asking him if he "stayed up all night" before the old-timers, two-hand-touch charity game his was currently playing in. Pat Summerall saying the NFL has (circa Jan '76, mind you) "too much" TV exposure. Rookies blowing their $8,500 playoff (CC) bonuses they made the week before. Yeah, that trainer (or whoever that was all dressed up - perhaps a Cowboys bigwig) didn't seem to believe Fugett when he told him he couldn't get back in the game. Lynn Swann singing "Moon River" in his hotel room and in a later scene (outside) talking about...concussions.

And some drunk (Dolphin fan) groupie in the Steelers hotel admitting she was rooting for Dallas because she didn't want Steelers to 'catch up' to Miami. I still don't understand why, just ten years in, people were already talking like NFL history began with SBI ("if Pittsburgh wins, they...tie Green Bay and Miami"). Like the Pack weren't already 9-time Champs before '66! Okay, six if you'd prefer to 'start' things with the '33 campaign.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:SBX/TVTV - quite a time-capsule/reality-TV precursor of a documentary; and non-NFL Films, mind you. Christopher Guest, and also Bill Murray - his gambling comment on Paul Hornung, asking Phyllis George "if you could marry a football player" question, and trying to annoy Johnny Unitas - asking him if he "stayed up all night" before the old-timers, two-hand-touch charity game his was currently playing in. Pat Summerall saying the NFL has (circa Jan '76, mind you) "too much" TV exposure. Rookies blowing their $8,500 playoff (CC) bonuses they made the week before. Yeah, that trainer (or whoever that was all dressed up - perhaps a Cowboys bigwig) didn't seem to believe Fugett when he told him he couldn't get back in the game. Lynn Swann singing "Moon River" in his hotel room and in a later scene (outside) talking about...concussions.

And some drunk (Dolphin fan) groupie in the Steelers hotel admitting she was rooting for Dallas because she didn't want Steelers to 'catch up' to Miami. I still don't understand why, just ten years in, people were already talking like NFL history began with SBI ("if Pittsburgh wins, they...tie Green Bay and Miami"). Like the Pack weren't already 9-time Champs before '66! Okay, six if you'd prefer to 'start' things with the '33 campaign.
Christopher Guest?

Is that one of his spoofs? If so, I'd love to see it :D
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

rhickok1109 wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:SBX/TVTV - quite a time-capsule/reality-TV precursor of a documentary; and non-NFL Films, mind you. Christopher Guest, and also Bill Murray - his gambling comment on Paul Hornung, asking Phyllis George "if you could marry a football player" question, and trying to annoy Johnny Unitas - asking him if he "stayed up all night" before the old-timers, two-hand-touch charity game his was currently playing in. Pat Summerall saying the NFL has (circa Jan '76, mind you) "too much" TV exposure. Rookies blowing their $8,500 playoff (CC) bonuses they made the week before. Yeah, that trainer (or whoever that was all dressed up - perhaps a Cowboys bigwig) didn't seem to believe Fugett when he told him he couldn't get back in the game. Lynn Swann singing "Moon River" in his hotel room and in a later scene (outside) talking about...concussions.

Christopher Guest?

Is that one of his spoofs? If so, I'd love to see it :D
He's in it briefly, but more so Bill Murray. Both are conducting interviews during an old-timers two-hand-touch game. Guest also asks Hornung if he was up all night in regards to this event, and then Murray makes that gambling comment as the game proceeds. Sonny Jurgensen, I believe, was a participant as well. Both Bill and his brother Brian Doyle grab a reluctant Phyllis from the sideline and get her to go out for a play. Real good stuff. Ought to check it out.