Relocation

LJP

Re: Relocation

Post by LJP »

NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Either San Antonio or Las Vegas come with some issues, not the least that it would require at a minimum a retractable dome or some interesting scheduling. A September 1PM start would be brutal. San Antonio has the advantage in gross population but it's not a particularly affluent one and Vegas is still relatively transient population. I could see lots of visitors making a Raider game the cap on a fun weekend in vegas, but not sure they'd develop much of a fan base.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

NWebster wrote:Either San Antonio or Las Vegas come with some issues, not the least that it would require at a minimum a retractable dome or some interesting scheduling. A September 1PM start would be brutal. San Antonio has the advantage in gross population but it's not a particularly affluent one and Vegas is still relatively transient population. I could see lots of visitors making a Raider game the cap on a fun weekend in vegas, but not sure they'd develop much of a fan base.
I'm surprised no one's brought up the most obvious roadblock with respect to Las Vegas: the gambling aspect. Considering this was the same league that didn't want NBC to promote their TV SHOW during a game a decade ago because it was titled, Las Vegas, it seems odd that Goodell wouldn't try to "protect the shield." Then again, they've already gotten into bed with Fantasy Sports companies and Goodell is intent on doubling league revenue in the next decade...
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Cheyenne, Wyoming or Fargo, North Dakota would be better suited to support an NFL franchise than Vegas would.
mwald

Post by mwald »

BD Sullivan wrote:
NWebster wrote:Either San Antonio or Las Vegas come with some issues, not the least that it would require at a minimum a retractable dome or some interesting scheduling. A September 1PM start would be brutal. San Antonio has the advantage in gross population but it's not a particularly affluent one and Vegas is still relatively transient population. I could see lots of visitors making a Raider game the cap on a fun weekend in vegas, but not sure they'd develop much of a fan base.
I'm surprised no one's brought up the most obvious roadblock with respect to Las Vegas: the gambling aspect. Considering this was the same league that didn't want NBC to promote their TV SHOW during a game a decade ago because it was titled, Las Vegas, it seems odd that Goodell wouldn't try to "protect the shield." Then again, they've already gotten into bed with Fantasy Sports companies and Goodell is intent on doubling league revenue in the next decade...
Vegas isn't exactly Vegas these days. The internet flattened that landscape long ago. Nowadays a vulnerable player in Vegas is more likely to run into a CEO or a diva in between gigs at Caesars than a mob guy looking to buy an edge. Corporations supplanted that element thirty years ago. Today Vegas is made of corporate money - and its safe as milk.

As an aside, funny how for decades making a standard bet against the spread was considered blasphemy, but that type of proposition pits your wit vs two teams, how they match up, what they will score, and the margin of victory. The game itself is not distorted. Analyze the legit game right, you win.

But fantasy? Pretend teams. Pretend scoring. Which bowlderizes the game more?

As for the Raiders, they belong in Oakland. But if they have to move - and I pray they don't - why not Vegas? Weird team, weird town. Seems more tailor made than Mark Davis' white suit.
mwald

Post by mwald »

Todd Pence wrote:Cheyenne, Wyoming or Fargo, North Dakota would be better suited to support an NFL franchise than Vegas would.
Fargo makes more sense than most people would think. If Green Bay can do it, why not Fargo? Great football town (ran into Phil Hansen at a convenience store one late Friday night in my college days, drunk as sh*t (me, not him)).

Okay, no way. But great football town. NDSU's QB could be the first QB picked in the NFL draft.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

mwald wrote:
Todd Pence wrote:Cheyenne, Wyoming or Fargo, North Dakota would be better suited to support an NFL franchise than Vegas would.
Fargo makes more sense than most people would think. If Green Bay can do it, why not Fargo? Great football town (ran into Phil Hansen at a convenience store one late Friday night in my college days, drunk as sh*t (me, not him)).

Okay, no way. But great football town. NDSU's QB could be the first QB picked in the NFL draft.
How much would the Vikings ask for cutting into their territory? Whatever microscopic hope Fargo has depends on them building a 70,000-seat dome, which isn't even going to be considered until the oil market gets back to where it was two years ago. Fargo probably is a great football town, but I can't see it happening in this century.
mwald

Post by mwald »

BD Sullivan wrote:
mwald wrote:

How much would the Vikings ask for cutting into their territory? Whatever microscopic hope Fargo has depends on them building a 70,000-seat dome, which isn't even going to be considered until the oil market gets back to where it was two years ago. Fargo probably is a great football town, but I can't see it happening in this century.
Yeah, not a chance. Fun to contemplate, though. The Dakota Teddys? Bully! :lol:

Btw, hope the oil doesn't come back. It destroyed half the roads in the western part of the state and brought an unpleasant element of riff raff that didn't exist before. That said, if you want to see McDonalds go from paying $6 an hour to $15 an hour overnight, bring oil in.