2015 NFL Playoffs

Rupert Patrick

Re: 2015 NFL Playoffs

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Super Bowl Sunday

Looking at the raw stats, the Panthers led the NFL in points scored and were 24th in passing yards and 2nd in rushing yards. Denver on offense was 19/14/17 respectively. On defense, the Panthers were 6/11/4 in those three categories and the Broncos were 4/1/3. One might look at the Broncos finishing 19th in the league in points scored and blame that on Osweiller at QB, and that is true to an extent. In the ten games Manning appeared in, the Broncos scored an average of 23.2 points per game, with Osweiller, it was 19.2 (I am crediting them both with the two games they both played in together). However, if you pro-rated Peyton's 23.2 over 16 games it is 371, which would have moved the Broncos to 15th in the league in points scored. This is not your typical Peyton Manning offensive machine, finishing 14th in passing yards. The lack of a big back and a power running game will hurt the Broncos; they won't be able to play ball control against the Panthers.

Looking at turnovers, Carolina is 8th on offense first on defense. Denver was 29th on offense, 8th on D. Carolina is +18 in net turnovers, which led the NFL, while Denver is at 0. Again, advantage Carolina.

As far as common opponents are concerned, they both played Green Bay and Indy. Carolina won both, 37-29 and 29-26, and Denver beat Green Bay 29-10 and lost to the Colts 24-27.

As far as intangibles are concerned, this is probably Manning's final game, and he has a lot to play for. Also, over the past 15 or so years a number of top-ranked offenses came into the Super Bowl and faced a tough offense and lost. I don't think that will happen this time, as it will require Denver to make turnovers, and prevent Carolina from making turnovers, neither of which have happened this season. It would also require Denver to play ball control to keep it out of Newton's hands, and Denver was 19th in offensive first downs. An awful lot of things have to break right for Denver to win this game, in my opinion, and I just don't see it happening. Peyton Manning ends his career on a down note as the Panthers win 27-20.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen