1960's All-Decade Team

rebelx24

Re: 1960's All-Decade Team

Post by rebelx24 »

John, it's really cool that you're working on those teams. Would be very interested to see what you come up with.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

rebelx24 wrote:John, it's really cool that you're working on those teams. Would be very interested to see what you come up with.
Most are done, but only three posted . . . will be posting more in coming weeks. Certainly there is room for other ideas, maybe even a consensus of regular posters . . . would like to see discussions as to who may be too high or too low or even missing. Just gave it best effort, but it's a falible process.

http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/ ... teams.html

DukeSlater

Post by DukeSlater »

Teo wrote:I would add also Erich Barnes at cornerback: 5 Pro Bowls in the 60s, 3 All-Pro teams (plus other 3 Second teams or All-conference), 31 interceptions in the 60s, only missed one game in the decade, playing for three different teams.
THIS!!!!!!!!
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

rebelx24 wrote:
Versatile John wrote:Erich Barnes, I agree, should be on this team.

Off topic: Barnes, Lester Hayes, Lemar Parrish and Louis Wright are all more deserving as corners over Dick LeBeau in the HOF, in my opinion. Also, I think they are better choices (arguably) than Emmitt Thomas for Canton.
Seconded. All four of those guys ought to be elected at some point in time, and were definitely better than LeBeau and Thomas both. I can actually live with Thomas being in Canton; I think he just meets the qualifications for the lowest tier of HOF-type player. But yeah, he shouldn't have been voted in before these four. LeBeau should have stayed in the HoVG, period.
I do not think Hayes or Parrish hall worthy. Wright was massively underrated and should get more discussion, and I'm probably biased on Barnes, loved the way he played and he would basically be Richard Sherman if he played today.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

What is it about Paul Krause that I'm missing? Unlike other great Vikings, the Super Bowls shouldn't have a negative effect on how he is viewed because the pass defense wasn't to blame for any of the four losses. There was only a total of 59 passes thrown against them in the four SBs for a total of 491 yards. I've read here that he was a so-so tackler and possibly a "soft" player but, even if that's true, those same weaknesses never hurt Deion Sanders' reputation. His poor tackling may show up on game film I don't have but, if it does, what negative effect could it possibly have had on the great Minnesota pass defense that gave up completions and yards so grudgingly.

Krause was All-Pro in his first two seasons with Washington and, surprisingly to me, only once with the Vikings, in 1975. He was selected for a total of eight Pro Bowls which is a suitable number. He was the final piece of the puzzle that made Minnesota's pass defense almost totally impregnable for the decade 1968-77, even though he wasn't playing with any other stars in the secondary. His interception record and credentials are beyond reproach and yet he had to wait until his last year of eligibility to get voted into Canton and the only list I see him on in this thread is the third team on John's 1965-75 squad with Ken Reaves and behind Spider Lockhart (!) who's on the second team. What am I missing?
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JohnH19 wrote:What is it about Paul Krause that I'm missing? Unlike other great Vikings, the Super Bowls shouldn't have a negative effect on how he is viewed because the pass defense wasn't to blame for any of the four losses. There was only a total of 59 passes thrown against them in the four SBs for a total of 491 yards. I've read here that he was a so-so tackler and possibly a "soft" player but, even if that's true, those same weaknesses never hurt Deion Sanders' reputation. His poor tackling may show up on game film I don't have but, if it does, what negative effect could it possibly have had on the great Minnesota pass defense that gave up completions and yards so grudgingly.

Krause was All-Pro in his first two seasons with Washington and, surprisingly to me, only once with the Vikings, in 1975. He was selected for a total of eight Pro Bowls which is a suitable number. He was the final piece of the puzzle that made Minnesota's pass defense almost totally impregnable for the decade 1968-77, even though he wasn't playing with any other stars in the secondary. His interception record and credentials are beyond reproach and yet he had to wait until his last year of eligibility to get voted into Canton and the only list I see him on in this thread is the third team on John's 1965-75 squad with Ken Reaves and behind Spider Lockhart (!) who's on the second team. What am I missing?
That was a draft, very raw, after looking at it again, when I publish it, Krause will be first-team. The knock on him was toughness, he was a cover-3 middle of the field safety, and nothing much more. Not a hitter, not a run forcer, etc. He was great as rookie, but then when new scheme came in they had the safeties each have to come down and play in the box, Krause didn;t like having to play SS part of the time or half thetime and that is what led to trade. He kind of complained his way out of Washington. Viking fans I know hated his style, tackling ,etc. But they liked the interceptions. Fair or unfair that was the knock on him