Coryell's Cardinals vs. Mora's Saints

CSKreager

Coryell's Cardinals vs. Mora's Saints

Post by CSKreager »

Both teams had a multi-year run of contention with strong teams on different sides of the ball (Those 1974-1977 Cardinals were an offense-first team, the 1987-1992 Saints were defensively dominant).

Both teams were right up there fighting in the higher echelon for a stretch of years in the NFC.

But neither team won in the playoffs.

While the Saints never could get past the 49ers, the Cardinals held their own against Dallas/Washington (and won more division titles 2-1 vs. those Saints)- the Vikings/Rams were their bugaboo.

Which of these what-might-have-been teams was better in their respective eras?

And also, how many of these teams had they gotten past that first playoff game could have done some damage?

In other words, could the 1974-1975 Cardinals have made it to New Orleans/Miami had they gotten past the divisional playoffs.

Ditto for the 1987-1991-1992 Saints: Could the '87 Saints have made a run to San Diego if they drew the Cardinals instead of the Vikings (couldn't play division rival SF in divisional playoffs, Washington I always thought was lucky with how the playoffs dominoes fell, and the Bears I thought were a bit vulnerable in '87)?

What of the '91 Saints had they gotten past Atlanta and gotten a shot at Detroit in the Silverdome. Not saying they win at RFK/Silverdome, but I think at least getting that first playoff win might have taken the pressure off them.

And the '92 Saints could not have fared any worse in Texas Stadium than the Eagles did

(And let's not forget the '76 Cardinals, who would have been a dangerous 2nd Wild Card had there been a 5th playoff team per conference. Or the baffling collapse of the '88 Saints whom seemed like the favorite to make it to Miami around Thanksgiving)