Alex Webster and Jack Stroud for HOVG

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Saban1

Alex Webster and Jack Stroud for HOVG

Post by Saban1 »

I am not really a Giants fan, but those two (Webster and Stroud) are very good candidates for the Hall of Very Good, IMHO.

I remember seeing Big Red (Webster) play in 1955 and was immediately impressed with his hard style of running with the football. He looked to me to be very strong. His stats over the years seem to verify this. His years when he did not do so well were always caused by injuries, except for his final season in 1964 in which all the Giants seemed to be experiencing off years (Y.A. Tittle said that "We all played one year too long.").

Stroud was 36 in that 1964 season and that was his final year as well, as he missed a good part of that season due to injuries. Stroud was a consistently good offensive lineman and was named 2nd team all-pro at both the guard and tackle positions. I watched many games that he played in and his man across the line from him seldom got to the passer or the running back, even in 1963 when he was 35 years old and for one of the first times in years was not named to any all-pro teams.

He probably would have been named first team all-pro a couple of times except that the left tackle on his team, Roosevelt Brown, was almost an automatic choice as first team all-pro during Stroud's prime years with the Giants. Stroud was also on the Giants goal line teams on defense. He was a valuable player on those Giants teams.

Here is hoping that many consider Alex Webster and Jack Stroud for the HOVG this year.