Len Hauss and/or Jeff Van Note: HOVG?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Gary Najman

Len Hauss and/or Jeff Van Note: HOVG?

Post by Gary Najman »

Both Hauss and Van Note were maybe the top NFC centers of the 1970s, with multiple Pro Bowls, yet they never were 1st team All-Pro (competing against HOFamers Mick Tingelhoff, Jim Langer and Mike Webster). I have voted for both of them to the HOVG in the past. Do you think thy got a chance?
JohnTurney

Re: Len Hauss and/or Jeff Van Note: HOVG?

Post by JohnTurney »

Teo wrote:Both Hauss and Van Note were maybe the top NFC centers of the 1970s, with multiple Pro Bowls, yet they never were 1st team All-Pro (competing against HOFamers Mick Tingelhoff, Jim Langer and Mike Webster). I have voted for both of them to the HOVG in the past. Do you think thy got a chance?
Again, IMO both very worthy of HOVG
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Jack Rudnay is another worth mentioning from this era.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

There are probably younger linemen that were more honored than these two. There was Forrest Blue as well. All players who were Pro Bowlers for a few years at center.

The only two centers in the HOVG are Tingelhoff and Ray Wietecha. Tingelhoff is in the HOF now. Someone want to take up Wietecha's case, why they voted for him? He was only in four Pro Bowls.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Add Bob DeMarco, Bruce Bosley, Jon Morris, Jay Hilgenberg. In a couple years, Bart Oates and Kent Hull also.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Jay Z wrote:There are probably younger linemen that were more honored than these two. There was Forrest Blue as well. All players who were Pro Bowlers for a few years at center.

The only two centers in the HOVG are Tingelhoff and Ray Wietecha. Tingelhoff is in the HOF now. Someone want to take up Wietecha's case, why they voted for him? He was only in four Pro Bowls.
I've got Wietecha as 1/4/none for honors. He also was 2nd team all pro 5 other seasons. Not sure how much of a priority I would have made him if I had a vote, but there's worse.
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

bachslunch wrote:
Jay Z wrote:There are probably younger linemen that were more honored than these two. There was Forrest Blue as well. All players who were Pro Bowlers for a few years at center.

I've got Wietecha as 1/4/none for honors. He also was 2nd team all pro 5 other seasons. Not sure how much of a priority I would have made him if I had a vote, but there's worse.
I am guessing that people factored Wietecha's coaching career in when they voted for him for the HOVG.
Football Learning Academy: https://www.football-learning-academy.com
An online school teaching football history.

FLA Podcast: https://www.football-learning-academy.com/pages/podcast