ARCHIVE A11 Football League to debut in May, first full sea

oldecapecod11

ARCHIVE A11 Football League to debut in May, first full sea

Post by oldecapecod11 »

ARCHIVE

Sorry! Somehow the word "ARCHIVE" slipped into the Title.
This is a tiresome exercise.

A11 Football League to debut in May, first full season in spring 2015
Started by Dusty Sloan, Feb 07 2014 11:24 AM

Page 1 of 2

31 replies to this topic

#1 Dusty Sloan
Second-Stringer
Forum Visitors
56 posts
Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

The A11 Football League announced its TV contract with ESPN yesterday, six of its eight charter franchises and more yesterday at a press conference in San Francisco.

(Full disclosure: I am the A11FL's Senior Editor and Vice President of Editorial Content.)

http://www.businessw...ms#.UvPlBfldWa8

http://espnmediazone...se-a11fl-games/

http://www.mercuryne...ches-launch-new

#2 james
Veteran
PFRA Member
951 posts
Interests:Music(Iron Maiden & Heavy Metal), NY Giants, Otto Graham, Leo Nomellini, AAFC, Pro Football 1920's-1970's, collecting football cards, collecting and reading football books.
Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:25 PM

This sounds pretty damn cool. Looking forward to this. When are the team announcements coming?

#3 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Administrators
1,144 posts
Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

The fact that they've already got a TV contract (two showcase games this spring, anyway) separates this from the many proposed leagues that we've seen over the years. And it's on ESPN, not the internet. I'm all for anything that gives players more job opportunities.

It's interesting that three of the six teams have USFL names. No thanks, though, on the "San Francisco Bay Area Sea Lions". They haven't even played yet, and they already win a prize for most awkward nickname in pro football history. On the other hand, the A-Eleven League or the A-11-F-L is one of the most original names ever for a sports league.

Congratulations, Dusty, on being part of pro football history.

#4 JWL
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,846 posts
Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

I will watch. Where will the New Jersey team practice and play?

#5 oldecapecod2
Starter
393 posts
Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

Yes, Mark, the A11fl San Francisco Bay Area Sea Lions may have the most awkward name in professional football history and they also have either the longest or second longest name as well
They have two more letters than the Southern Michigan Wolverines and five more letters than the Clearfield White Tail Bucks; but, somewhere in the caverns of my mind, I am thinking that the Clearfield team was formerly the Western Pennsylvania White Tail Bucks which beats San Fran by five letters.
It is good you referenced professional football because I doubt any team will ever come close to the California Polytechnical State University Mustangs.
The Mustangs might have an additional bit of length if one follows the AP Stylebook and hyphenates poly-technical.
(I believe John Madden was a Cal-Poly Mustang?)
And, indeed, congratulations and good wishes go out to the entire organization as they dip their toes into waters heretofore not suited for swimming.

#6 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Administrators
1,144 posts
Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:54 PM

oldecapecod2, on 07 Feb 2014 - 7:06 PM, said:
It is good you referenced professional football because I doubt any team will ever come close to the California Polytechnical State University Mustangs.
The Mustangs might have an additional bit of length if one follows the AP Stylebook and hyphenates poly-technical.
(I believe John Madden was a Cal-Poly Mustang?)

Even worse, Madden's team was "Cal Poly SLO" to distinguish it from Cal Tech, hence California Polytechnical State University of San Luis Obispo . If they ever tried to get a crowd shout with "Give me a C! Give me an A! etc." it would take an entire quarter. And forget about the band trying to spell out the school name.

#7 oldecapecod2
Starter
393 posts
Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:42 PM

Mark L. Ford
... the band trying...

The fight song must have been longer than AMERICAN PIE?

#8 Reaser
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,729 posts
Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:44 PM
Funny that a loophole, a scrimmage kick formation, and an "offense" is now a football league.

I'll watch, because I watch everything football related. Plus it'll be a chance to watch former college players I was a fan of who didn't quite make it professionally.

I read an article today that said the A11 formation won't be required but will be legal (which seems to be the entire premise of the league)? If that's correct it's kind of odd to name the league after an "offensive" formation that might not be used, by other teams at least. I also read that the leagues co-founder will also be a head coach of one of the teams? Since his career is built off the gimmick I'm sure his team will use it, at least. I would hope that the other 7 teams wouldn't be 'nudged' towards using the formation also, though the formation is the name of the league. Be kind of like the WishboneFL then only one of 8 teams runs the wishbone?

I do have a couple questions;

1. Are 5 of the 8 teams really making the playoffs? Guess it's not CFL level but that'd be missing a great opportunity to promote competition.

2. The main 'marketing' slogan for the league I've seen is; "The A11FL is taking the game back to the way it was originally played by changing one rule, no jersey numbering requirements for the offense." ... First, I'm not exactly sure how that adds up to being how the game was "originally played" (since you know, originally played doesn't involve passing out of a scrimmage kick formation) ...

Besides that, no jersey number requirements, cool, but from what I've read I'm of the understanding that it only 'matters' is terms of using the A11/scrimmage kick formation? So how would that be changing anything? It seems like at most, all the league is doing is taking something that is illegal and making it legal, which is fine to do, but kind of underwhelms in the "taking the game back to how it was originally played" category. Plus if the jersey number requirements have no meaning when a QB is under center (i.e. LG still ineligible) then that would be disappointing in terms of "No jersey number requirements! Everyone is eligible! only if you use the A11/scrimmage kick formation . . . " That's how it reads, still ineligible receivers if you line up under center, kind of makes the premise of the league a little pointless if that indeed is the case. Why not just make everyone run the A11 formation all game? Or make all players eligible to receive a pass on every play regardless of formation (league is based on making up it's own formation/uniform rules anyways, why not go all in?) . . . Would be more entertaining than; "this is normal football but with all the players not good enough to play in the NFL, CFL and probably AFL, but the good news is we're making one formation that may or may not be used often, legal."

Not to be cynical, at least purposely, I'll watch regardless (like I watched the UFL, which wasn't great, but was football on TV, which is infinitely better than most things.) ...

#9 Dusty Sloan
Second-Stringer
Forum Visitors
56 posts
Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:32 AM

james, on 07 Feb 2014 - 1:25 PM, said:
This sounds pretty damn cool. Looking forward to this. When are the team announcements coming?

James, we announced six of the eight markets/team names yesterday. The other two will come as soon as that is finalized.

#10 Dusty Sloan
Second-Stringer
Forum Visitors
56 posts
Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:33 AM

Mark L. Ford, on 07 Feb 2014 - 2:55 PM, said:
The fact that they've already got a TV contract (two showcase games this spring, anyway) separates this from the many proposed leagues that we've seen over the years. And it's on ESPN, not the internet. I'm all for anything that gives players more job opportunities.
It's interesting that three of the six teams have USFL names. No thanks, though, on the "San Francisco Bay Area Sea Lions". They haven't even played yet, and they already win a prize for most awkward nickname in pro football history. On the other hand, the A-Eleven League or the A-11-F-L is one of the most original names ever for a sports league.
Congratulations, Dusty, on being part of pro football history.

Thanks, Mark! And there has been some confusion on the Sea Lions name - it is the Bay Area Sea Lions.

#11 Dusty Sloan
Second-Stringer
Forum Visitors
56 posts
Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:35 AM

Reaser, on 07 Feb 2014 - 11:44 PM, said:
1. Are 5 of the 8 teams really making the playoffs? Guess it's not CFL level but that'd be missing a great opportunity to promote competition.

Yes, 5 of the 8 teams will qualify. It is the format the USFL would have used in 1986, had it played - 4/5 in a wild card game, while the top three seeds have byes, then 1/lowest remaining seed and 2/3 in the semifinals the next week, then the title game (yet to be named).

#12 oldecapecod2
Starter
393 posts
Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:21 AM

Reaser
...Besides that, no jersey number requirements...

This is going to require some very sharp-eyed officiating by guys with excellent short-term memories.
Difficult at best - but even more so if you consider this league will be using officials who probably would not qualify at the NFL level.
We have seen the "best" of these types in replacement situations and they certainly did not maintain the quality of officiating that we had become accustomed to seeing.

So, a LG, #42 or whatever, slips over the middle on a delayed route while the officials were concentrating on the wides.
He catches a pass and all heck breaks out on the sidelines by the opposing coaches and players.
Will it be subject to "Review" in the replay booth? How many times? Can it be challenged? Does the opposition risk a challenge?

Lotsa confusion, IMHO.

Make it worse.
The diagram shows a spread set - not wide but spread none-the-less.
Compact it, as Reaser refers to it, to a scrimmage kick formation - practically toe-to-toe.
This unit runs onto the field as though it is going to be a kick.
Now, the time for officials to recognize and remember the interior numbers is much, much shorter.

The numbering system was established and modified to AID the best group of football officials on the planet.
Now, to take away that tool from a lesser group is...

Crazy?

Maybe...

Hmmm... one afterthought (of many) - Reporting: Let's say a team is alternating the four outside "eligibles" on almost every play. Must they report?

#13 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
360 posts
Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:03 AM

The way it originally was was closer to soccer. Or rugby, if you want.

Bring back the mass and momentum plays, the leather helmets, the fat ball, the very wide hash marks. One formation means nothing

I really am confused as to why they think/claim that numberless jerseys is all it takes for returning to ancient football. Will there be limited substitutions? if there will be extra point conversions, will they be kicked by a player already in the game? Will players play offense and defense, including receivers and QBs? Will they require drop kicks? Use the single wing? The flying wedge? Be required to wear crazy uniforms with stripes and such (no modern unis allowed)? Not having to announce an eligible receiver (which I've always thought a pretty sissy rule) hardly seems returning back to the days of yesteryear. Will the hash marks be near the sidelines? Before 1911, there wasn't even an end zone and the field was 110 feet long. Is Canadian football old fashioned in this way, or does the big end zone disqualify them for this definition.

Why not 3 downs to make 5 yards or the original forward pass legal-to-pass-from box like in 1905? Will field goals be worth 5 points and touchdowns 4? They even used to forward pass by kicking once, why not try that? Or bring back the Notre Dame box and one shift...

Seems to me this being branded a return to old style football is like that Pepsi commercial where half time was invented in the roaring 20s or the dust bowl 30s, in order to drink Pepsi. You know the types of people who think the Beatles stole their song from Pretty in Pink or whatever 1980s movie played one of their songs- they will now believe halftime started in the depression or the 20s in order to drink Pepsi with cute girls with rumble seats. As if Coca Cola isn't far older, anyway.

They should require that all kick returns include at least three laterals...

#14 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Administrators
1,144 posts
Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

luckyshow, on 09 Feb 2014 - 07:03 AM, said:
I really am confused as to why they think/claim that numberless jerseys is all it takes for returning to ancient football. Will there be limited substitutions? if there will be extra point conversions, will they be kicked by a player already in the game? Will players play offense and defense, including receivers and QBs? Will they require drop kicks? Use the single wing? The flying wedge? Be required to wear crazy uniforms with stripes and such (no modern unis allowed)? Not having to announce an eligible receiver (which I've always thought a pretty sissy rule) hardly seems returning back to the days of yesteryear. Will the hash marks be near the sidelines? Before 1911, there wasn't even an end zone and the field was 110 feet long. Is Canadian football old fashioned in this way, or does the big end zone disqualify them for this definition.
Why not 3 downs to make 5 yards or the original forward pass legal-to-pass-from box like in 1905? Will field goals be worth 5 points and touchdowns 4? They even used to forward pass by kicking once, why not try that? Or bring back the Notre Dame box and one shift...
They should require that all kick returns include at least three laterals...

That would be interesting to see. I think their jerseys will have numbers, but they won't be confined to 0-19 for quarterbacks, or any of that.

I agree that there's a lot of hyperbole in saying that changing one rule would "take football back to the way it was". Somewhat like re-creating the look and feel of Woodstock by saying "no cell phones, just as in 1969".

An interesting question about how the officials would know who the eligible receivers were if they can wear any available number. I can imagine something like a high contrast patch -- Pro Bowl traffic cone color, perhaps-- that would be velcroed on to the receiver's back so that even King George III could see it without his spectacles.

#15 Dusty Sloan
Second-Stringer
Forum Visitors
56 posts
Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:15 AM

The point of eliminating the jersey-numbering rule on offense is to create a limitless amount of offensive play possibilities. You could conceivably have all 11 players in an offensive huddle with traditionally pass-eligible jersey numbers, and you don't know until they line up who is eligible for a pass. Five offensive players still are termed "restricted linemen," so those players are ineligible to catch a pass. But, let's say your No. 1 running back lines up as a restricted lineman - he still could take a hand-off or get a pitch/backward pass legally.

#16 oldecapecod2
Starter
393 posts
Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:13 PM

luckyshow
...kick returns include at least three laterals...

Perhaps, but the receiving team must declare "how many" laterals prior to the kickoff.
Additionally, the opening kickoff and kickoff to start the Second Half should take place while both bands are still marching off the field. Band members should not be eligible to receive laterals but should wear tunics closely resembling their team's jerseys.
Hmmm... maybe "jersey" should be termed a sweater once again and Pendleton could replace the swoop company with more traditional attire?

Mark L. Ford
...high contrast patch...

The pants, if the players will be wearing pants, will have to have pockets. Each player can then carry the high contrast patch in his or her pocket and the patch placed into position as they break from the huddle.
Hmmm... "his or her" raises another question.
Will these be mixed-gender teams?
Or, will they truly return to tradition and keep the women away thus enabling them to finish their chores and have supper on the table?
Or, fearing the vengeance of NOW, will there be a {"Women's Division or League?"
Or, fearing resistance by other groups, will there be three Divisions or Leagues: Mens', Womens', and Sign-in Please?

...Woodstock...
A return to tradition indicates smoking will once again be permitted which will require approval by the various municipal powers. This will have a negative affect and effect on those of us who no longer smoke and will once again remember when "the halftime air was sweet perfume."

...King George III...
Is there to be an International Division or early expansion across the pond? That's really returning to tradition.
Will identification without representation be tyrannical?

Dusty Sloan
...No. 1 running back lines up as a restricted lineman...
Even Cookie Gilchrist would not want to do that - legally or otherwise. (Well, maybe Cookie would?)

And... the ability of instant recognition by officials remains quite clouded and highly doubtful - especially in a traditional setting without review(s.)

Finally... does the return to tradition mean an exclusion or limiting of black players? If so, it won't be much of a league.

#17 Reaser
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,729 posts
Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:51 PM

Dusty Sloan, on 09 Feb 2014 - 11:15 AM, said:
The point of eliminating the jersey-numbering rule on offense is to create a limitless amount of offensive play possibilities. You could conceivably have all 11 players in an offensive huddle with traditionally pass-eligible jersey numbers, and you don't know until they line up who is eligible for a pass. Five offensive players still are termed "restricted linemen," so those players are ineligible to catch a pass. But, let's say your No. 1 running back lines up as a restricted lineman - he still could take a hand-off or get a pitch/backward pass legally.

Eliminating jersey-numbering rule is less about creating 'limitless' (still rules/restrictions on the scrimmage kick formation) offensive play possibilities, it's more about creating offensive huddle opportunities (exciting!) ... If in non-Scrimmage Kick formations the same players are still ineligible then nothing has changed other than what numbers the linemen are wearing. Again, even the purpose of the league (taking something illegal and making it legal) with the A11's "offense" still has five ineligible players, the gimmick is that until they line up a defense won't know who is and isn't eligible, so the 'game' is the sub packages, huddle, and lining up. Not so much the plays themselves. The A11 "founders" (who didn't create the "offense" as much as they exploited a loophole in the HS rulebook) have pushed things like "the No.1 RB can get a pitch or backwards pass legally" ... but so can anyone else in a real offensive formation, anyone on the field can get a pitch or backwards pass legally so I've never got and still don't get the purpose of hyping that up. Or did the A11 guys invent laterals too?

#18 Wildcats Unite
Starter
Forum Visitors
151 posts
Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

Dusty Sloan, on 08 Feb 2014 - 12:33 AM, said:
Thanks, Mark! And there has been some confusion on the Sea Lions name - it is the Bay Area Sea Lions.

I'm assuming that it was intentional to use USFL names. Was the idea to capitalize on slightly familiar names? Not that I liked the USFL names all that much. I think this forum could have come up with better names. Sorry for the criticism but the names and mascots are part of a league's identity.

#19 JWL
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,846 posts
Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:50 PM

Yeah, I do not like the New Jersey Generals name.

Better ones-
Tomatoes
Muskrats
Squirrels
Box Turtles

All four of those would mean tremendous logos if done right.

I have to go now, but could easily come up with 100 other good possibilities.

#20 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
360 posts
Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:43 AM

JWL, on 10 Feb 2014 - 1:50 PM, said:
Yeah, I do not like the New Jersey Generals name.
Better ones-
Tomatoes
Muskrats
Squirrels
Box Turtles
All four of those would mean tremendous logos if done right.
I have to go now, but could easily come up with 100 other good possibilities.

The Jersey Sweet Crudes
The Hackensack Hucksters
The Rutherford Rough Riders (who jump to and join the CFL before the second A11 season)
The Meadowlands Mafia (or Mafioso) [no one can complain, they would just use the Redskin's reasonings and excuses for use of the name]
The Camden Cut Throats [a permanent road team]
The New Brunswick 11-pins [sponsored by the bowling ball company. Only if they play home games at Rutgers]
The Swamp Rats
The New Jersey Sump Pumps
The Paterson Patsies
The Weehawken Weenies
The Hudson Hoboes
The North River Nut Club
The Bayonne Vikings [a classic name. They could use that giant old dry dock and build the stadium inside it. Or a floating field.]
The New Jersey Hoffas
The Cranberry Bogs

By the way, if there was a co-ed division, some of today's players might be worried that the lady players may leer at them in the showers. If blacks were restricted (Mike Fransecia said today that the sports leagues had rules against black players. There were no written down rules in actuality), they'd also have their own division.

And if college players organize a union, there would be minor league football instead of college football. Would people want to care about a minor league, the minor leagues? So they'd have to be another division. So many divisions, the playoffs would take months to finish. A Super Bowl between the Liverpool Liverwurst (or the Manchester Marmite) and the Cincinnati Sweetie Pies (after a series of upsets by this women's division champions) would be oh so popular.

Page 1 of 2

oldecapecod 11

A11 Football League to debut in May, first full season in spring 2015
Started by Dusty Sloan, Feb 07 2014 11:24 AM

PREV Page 2 of 2

31 replies to this topic

#21 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Administrators
1,144 posts
Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

Dusty, I hope you don't take the jokes too seriously. It's to be expected whenever a new sports league is launched. If I recall correctly, you handled PR for the UFL a few years ago. People laughed, but that league went more seasons than the WFL or the USFL. The important thing is that there's life after the SEC and the Big Ten.

#22 Wildcats Unite
Starter
Forum Visitors
151 posts
Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

Mark L. Ford, on 11 Feb 2014 - 11:13 AM, said:
Dusty, I hope you don't take the jokes too seriously. It's to be expected whenever a new sports league is launched. If I recall correctly, you handled PR for the UFL a few years ago. People laughed, but that league went more seasons than the WFL or the USFL. The important thing is that there's life after the SEC and the Big Ten.

I suppose you can judge a league's success by the number of years that it operated, but paying customers is another method and I think the attendance to some UFL games was... let's just say minimal.

#23 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Administrators

1,144 posts
Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:28 PM
I don't think I said it was a success. It lasted longer than most such ventures.

#24 Dusty Sloan
Second-Stringer
Forum Visitors
56 posts
Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

Thanks for the support, Mark!

Here is where I am right now - as a lot of you know, I am an alternative football nut. You should see my apartment! I was the Chief Content Writer for the UFL for two seasons, and it was the highlight of my professional career, and it was the fulfillment of a lifetime goal. It ended very badly for me since I still haven't been paid for my final two months of work, but I look back on what I accomplished, the things I was able to do and the friends I made with fondness.

I dipped my toes into the water again with the A11FL, and I am very glad I have. The league's executives have treated me with nothing but respect, and I have enjoyed every minute of the last nine months. This is an exciting opportunity for everyone involved, and I am looking forward to what the future holds.

#25 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member
563 posts
Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

Mark L. Ford
Posted Yesterday, 12:28 PM
"I don't think I said..."

Dusty Sloan
Posted Yesterday, 01:23 PM
"...I am an alternative football nut..."

H.L. Hunt, father of the Dallas Texans owner Lamar Hunt had an estimated income of $1.5 million per week.
When a reporter mentioned to H.L. that Lamar would lose about a million dollars a year with his AFL venture, H.L. replied, "At that rate, he will last only 100 years."

Unless and until someone can gather six, or eight, or ten, or twelve people like that who want to own a football team, you will never see a serious challenge to the NFL.
And, if there becomes such a group, the challenge could only succeed head-to-head - in the Fall.

All of these Spring and Summer and please don't eat the daises leagues are doomed to failure - most without even the benefit of short-term success.

#26 Todd Pence
Veteran
Forum Visitors
625 posts
Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:52 PM

Isn't Jim Zorn also a Cal Poly alum? Or do I have it confused with another college?

#27 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member
563 posts
Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

Todd Pence
Posted Today, 12:52 PM
"... Jim Zorn..."

He is - but Pomona - Madden, as Mark indicated, was San Luis Obispo. So, he is a Bronco, not a Mustang.

#28 Todd Pence
Veteran
Forum Visitors
625 posts
Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

I wonder if the two schools ever played one another? That would be almost as confusing as the time Augustana College of Illinois played Augustana College of South Dakota. Both teams were named the Vikings, and both wore Blue and Gold.

#29 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member
563 posts
Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

Green and Gold
Attached Thumbnails

#30 JWL
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,846 posts
Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:58 PM

Any news on the first telecast?

#31 Reaser
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,729 posts
Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:58 AM

JWL, on 24 Apr 2014 - 11:58 PM, said:
Any news on the first telecast?
Last two things I saw was about a month ago a friend forwarded two posts (guessing from twitter? I don't use it) with the A11FL saying that unlike the NFL they will allow dunks over the goalpost, and that they have a new opportunity and are taking a "time-out" to adjust their plans. For whatever that's worth.

Only other thing I've seen is on another forum people were complaining that they were (I'll say allegedly since I don't know) banned from the leagues facebook page for asking questions about what's going on with the league.

Opinions in that thread seemed in line with opinions of the recent past "new" leagues, usually have the 3-groups of people; 1. People that hate it and root for it to fail for whatever reasons(s) / it's not the NFL.... 2. People who use common sense and are realistic about the leagues chances./ i.e. know it'll fail but want to watch all the games because they're football fans.... and 3. The people that blindly overhype these type of leagues like this time it'll be different and this is the league that will take off. Then even after things are falling apart they continue to say there's no problems and everything is perfect.

The last group is entertaining enough, I know a guy who pushed the All American Football League non-stop and even after they kept postponing the league every year (swear they pushed the start back 4 years in a row?) he kept saying it would work, then bailed on that league to promote the UFL and tried to tell everyone that it would compete with the NFL and even after it was clearly dead kept saying the UFL would last, then naturally ignored that he's constantly wrong and started hyping up the 'new' USFL which nothing going on there so now of course he's all about the A11FL and telling people how they're wrong and it's the future of football.

#32 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Administrators
1,144 posts
Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:28 PM
My understanding is that the A11FL cancelled its plans for the two demonstration games at Tampa and at Dallas.

Page 2 of 2
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Mark L. Ford

Re: ARCHIVE A11 Football League to debut in May, first full

Post by Mark L. Ford »

I'm glad OCC posted this thread from February-- one could say that the epilogue to the thread came on July 9, 2014, after the league had cancelled its showcase games. Their Facebook post on that day said that "For the last few months our investment team has been actively working on financing for a new Professional Spring Football League that will feature NFL rules. Details about the new league name will be released when we are able, but as of today the new league will no longer be branded as the A11FL." I guess the fact that they capitalized "Professional Spring Football League" may have been a clue about what they would call themselves if they ever came back, but it joined the "New USFL", the "UNGL", the "AAFL" and the many other ideas that have come and gone over the years. It makes the FXFL and the UFL look very good by comparison.