oddball stuff you track

Reaser

Re: oddball stuff you track

Post by Reaser »

Evan wrote:Anyone know if Tittle, Van Brocklin, Waterfield, Luckman, Baugh, Graham, Herber held? I don't believe Unitas, Staubach, Namath, Bradshaw or any of the modern QBs (Favre, Marino, Aikman, Young, Elway, Fouts, Kelly, Moon, Warner) ever held.
Favre infamously was the holder for the Packers with the most shown HL being when he took his hands off the ball before Jacke kicked the gw PAT in the Bengals game in 1992.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Tony Romo became the holder for the Cowboys after punter Mat McBriar fumbled a snap. He was the backup QB at the time, but he continued as the Cowboys' holder even after he replaced Bledsoe as their starting QB...which led to his infamous fumbled snap on what would have been the attempt at a game-winning FG in the 2007 NFC wild-card game.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

John Grasso wrote:
Evan wrote: Also, I can't seem to think of a single African-American placekick holder. Anyone?
That's probably because the holder is more often than not the punter and
there have been very few black punters.
See above ..
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Evan wrote:Other notable QBs who held were Conerly, Lamonica, Morrall. Others who come to mind?
Jim Zorn and Jake Plummer.
Also, I can't seem to think of a single African-American placekick holder. Anyone?
Marquette King.

Not sure it fits any of your criteria but I was happy that Mark Brunell was the holder for the Saints when they won the Super Bowl. Got to contribute more than standing on the sideline.
Evan

Post by Evan »

Great replies guys, I really appreciate it.
Some other thoughts to ponder:

1950 NFL Championship – who held for Groza's game-winning kick?

1958 Giants/Browns – Jeff is correct, Conerly held for Summerall, with the famous line of "What the hell are you doing out here?" to Summerall.

1958 NFL Championship - George Shaw held for Myhra's game-tying kick in the NFL Championship.

1971 Dolphins/Chiefs - Karl Noonan held for Yepremian's game-winner.

1981 Chargers/Dolphins - Ed Luther held for Rolf's game-winner (which surprised me because I thought it was Mike Fuller).

2001 Tuck game – Punter Ken Walter held for Vinatieri.

NOTE: Morrall held for Jim O’Brien’s Super Bowl winning kick, and for Yepremian’s Super Bowl blunder kick.

NOTE: Frank Reich held for Scott Norwood’s Super Bowl miss against New York, and Steve Christie’s comeback capper against Houston.

The Chiefs had a Hall of Fame kicking triumvirate of Bobby Bell as the long snapper, Len Dawson as the holder, and Jan Stenerud as the kicker. Is this the only HOF trio in those roles? Was Jim Otto a long snapper when Stabler was holding for Blanda?
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Evan wrote:Great replies guys, I really appreciate it.

Tommy James
LJP

Post by LJP »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
Evan wrote:The last starting QB to hold for kicks in the Super Bowl was Theismann in Jan. 1983 I believe.
Just checked it on the Youtube to verify - Theismann held for Moseley in Super Bowl XVIII also.
Tony Eason (Patriots) did it in Super Bowl XX.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Evan wrote:Great replies guys, I really appreciate it.

1958 Giants/Browns – Jeff is correct, Conerly held for Summerall, with the famous line of "What the hell are you doing out here?" to Summerall.

1958 NFL Championship - George Shaw held for Myhra's game-tying kick in the NFL Championship.

1971 Dolphins/Chiefs - Karl Noonan held for Yepremian's game-winner.

1981 Chargers/Dolphins - Ed Luther held for Rolf's game-winner (which surprised me because I thought it was Mike Fuller).

2001 Tuck game – Punter Ken Walter held for Vinatieri.

NOTE: Morrall held for Jim O’Brien’s Super Bowl winning kick, and for Yepremian’s Super Bowl blunder kick.

NOTE: Frank Reich held for Scott Norwood’s Super Bowl miss against New York, and Steve Christie’s comeback capper against Houston.

The Chiefs had a Hall of Fame kicking triumvirate of Bobby Bell as the long snapper, Len Dawson as the holder, and Jan Stenerud as the kicker. Is this the only HOF trio in those roles? Was Jim Otto a long snapper when Stabler was holding for Blanda?
I was thinking Yepremian's kick in the Super Bowl … damn!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

Washington's terrible post-RFK Monday Night Football record
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Here's something oddball that I track, and that is streaks of teams who have not had consecutive losing seasons. The reason I track this is for my methodology for dynasties, that I came up for a system for evaluating dynasties and I set the beginning of a dynasty as a season in which a team finishes with a .500 or better record following two consecutive losing seasons. From there, the dynasty continues until the team has back-to-back losing seasons. In most cases, a dynasty lasts ten years or less; many last five years or less, and a number of dynasties only last one season by this definition.

However, in some cases a dynasty might run longer than 15 seasons. By this definition, the Cleveland Browns had a dynasty that ran for 28 seasons, from 1946 to 1973. The Giants had a 24-year long dynasty from 1949-72, and the Raiders also had a 24-year dynasty from 1963-86. The Dolphins had a 36-year dynasty, which ran from 1970-2005, which is the second-longest of all time. If I asked you to name the longest dynasty of all time, you wouldn't get the right answer if I gave you a dozen guesses. The longest running dynasty of all time belongs to the Denver Broncos at 45 seasons, as they have not had back-to-back losing seasons since 1971-72. The Broncos streak of 45 consecutive seasons without back-to-back losing seasons, needless to say, is also a pro football record. This streak is in serious jeopardy as the Broncos finished 5-11 in 2017 and are currently 6-8 and need to beat the Raiders and Chargers to finish 8-8 and keep the dynasty going.

Among current teams, the Packers had a dynasty of 25 seasons (1992-2016) which ended because they finished 7-9 in 2017 and are 5-8-1 in 2018, ensuring another losing season. The Patriots currently have a dynasty of 25 seasons in progress (1994-2018).

Continuing the explanation of my methodology, once I identify the dynasties, I have a system for isolating the five (or eight, 10, 12, 15) best consecutive seasons within the dynasty which you can compare to the five (8,10,12,15) best consecutive seasons of other dynasties. In this way, you can look at, say, the 70's Steelers best eight-year run and compare it to the best eight-year streak of the 49ers or Patriots.

Long story short, if the Broncos don't win out to finish 8-8, their record streak of seasons without back-to-back losing seasons is over.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen