Why Eddie Kotal belongs in the HOVG

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
RyanChristiansen

Why Eddie Kotal belongs in the HOVG

Post by RyanChristiansen »

I nominated the first full-time scout, Eddie Kotal, for the HOVG. Here is my argument for him.

After five years of scouting and drafting, Kotal almost single-handedly assembled a powerhouse roster for the Los Angeles Rams. The 1951 Rams had two great quarterbacks, the two best receivers in the NFL, and a fast and hard-charging backfield, all on one team. Kotal brought in the talent that helped the Rams to compete in three consecutive NFL championship games in 1949, 1950, and 1951, and again in 1955. During that span the Rams were 56-23-5.

Kotal also played in the NFL. He played halfback, tailback, blocking back, and end for the Green Bay Packers during the 1925 through 1929 seasons.

During the 1928 season, his best year in the NFL, Kotal played halfback and tailback in 12 games for the Packers. He ran the ball 102 times for 298 yards and two touchdowns, second in rushing behind Lewellen. He completed 16 of 29 pass attempts for 178 yards, one touchdown, and two interceptions. And he was the team's top receiver and caught 28 passes for 508 yards and one touchdown. He scored 18 points and intercepted 10 passes. He also returned two punts for 17 yards.

Kotal played in the right place at the right time. As David Neft notes in his Football Encyclopedia, “More teams were using the forward pass as an integral part of the offense. Correspondingly, the number of interceptions soared. The Green Bay Packers, who threw more passes than anyone else, also intercepted the most. Their 39 grabs of enemy tosses were led by Eddie Kotal's 10.”

For his efforts, Kotal was named a second team all-pro in 1928, and as of 2018, Kotal continued to share the record for most interceptions in a season by a Green Bay Packer with Irv Comp, who also had 10 in 1943, a record that was most recently threatened by Charles Woodson in 2009. Kotal’s record is unofficial because he achieved his total in a season before individual interception totals were recognized.

Kotal’s last season in the NFL in 1929 would have its highs and lows, in large part due to injuries, but also because the Packers had acquired the services of backfielder Bo Molenda in late November 1928, and backfielders Herdis McCrary and future Hall-of-Famer Johnny “Blood” McNally joined the team for 1929. Kotal did prove to be valuable, however, especially as a pass receiver, and in the he final game against the Bears at Wrigley Field in Chicago, Kotal excelled. In a span of five minutes in the third quarter, Kotal helped to cinch the Packers' victory over the Bears when he caught two touchdown passes from Lewellen, both on identical plays that had him evade Red Grange and Joey Sternaman each time. And he caught the second pass one-handed and without breaking his stride.

In his career with the Packers, Kotal ran the ball 318 times for 879 yards, completed 39 of 87 pass attempts for 481 yards, two touchdowns, and seven interceptions, and caught 74 passes for 1,195 yards and five touchdowns. He intercepted 18 passes. He also returned 15 punts for 120 yards. After a decade of Packer football, Kotal stood in third place on the Packers' all-time scoring list with 10 touchdowns, behind Curly Lambeau with 12 and Verne Lewellen with 35.

Side note: After the 1927 NFL season was over, Kotal played halfback for the Jim Thorpe-coached Portsmouth Shoe-Steels against the Ashland Armco team, in the Tri-State championship, in front of 4,000 fans in Ashland, OH. He scored Portsmouth's only touchdown in the contest. Afterward, officials in Portsmouth, OH, hoped Kotal might become assistant coach for their semi-professional team.

Kotal was also a backfield coach in both the Packers and Rams organizations.
Last edited by RyanChristiansen on Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
TanksAndSpartans

Re: Why Eddie Kotal belongs in the HOVG

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Lots of worthy players from the 10s and 20s not in. For this one, looking at PFR and seeing '28 was the only season with postseason honors may make it a tough road. To me Latone is the litmus test for the 10s and 20s - if he can't get in, I don't think anyone else will. I'll nominate a few this year myself, but I don't see them getting past the committee. Good luck!
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:Lots of worthy players from the 10s and 20s not in. For this one, looking at PFR and seeing '28 was the only season with postseason honors may make it a tough road. To me Latone is the litmus test for the 10s and 20s - if he can't get in, I don't think anyone else will. I'll nominate a few this year myself, but I don't see them getting past the committee. Good luck!
Yes, but shouldn’t we combine his playing credentials along with his scouting credentials? Or do you have to treat them separately? If so, he’s arguably the top candidate in the category of scout.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I have no problem with that, Reeves and Knox are in for coaching. I'd like to see Jack Cusack in since the HoF doesn't recognize him - like Kotal, he'd need to be recognized for something other than playing or coaching too.