NFL Top 50 Players

Reaser

NFL Top 50 Players

Post by Reaser »

New York Daily News is doing a list of the Top 50 NFL Players of 'All-Time' . . .

41-50 in the link: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... ?cid=bitly

Here's the 15-member 'blue ribbon panel' that put together the list. (note: Each voter ranked their 30 greatest players.)

Ernie Accorsi, Jerry Angelo, Carl Banks, Cris Carter, Gil Brandt, Joe Browne, Mike Francesa, Hank Gola, Dave Goldberg, Joe Horrigan, Kim Jones, Peter King, Bill Parcells, Bill Polian and Mike Tannenbaum.

Naturally would involve many with NY ties. Looks like they thought they had too many people with actual football credentials so they decided to add some people to make sure no one would take the list serious.
7DnBrnc53

Re: NFL Top 50 Players

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

They had Nitschke rated ahead of Jack Ham. I don't know about that. He was good, but not top-50 all-time material.

Also, they better not have Brady rated in the top-20. I wouldn't even have him on this list.
King Kong

Post by King Kong »

Reaser wrote:New York Daily News is doing a list of the Top 50 NFL Players of 'All-Time' . . .

Here's the 15-member 'blue ribbon panel' that put together the list. (note: Each voter ranked their 30 greatest players.)

Ernie Accorsi, Jerry Angelo, Carl Banks, Cris Carter, Gil Brandt, Joe Browne, Mike Francesa, Hank Gola, Dave Goldberg, Joe Horrigan, Kim Jones, Peter King, Bill Parcells, Bill Polian and Mike Tannenbaum.

Naturally would involve many with NY ties. Looks like they thought they had too many people with actual football credentials so they decided to add some people to make sure no one would take the list serious.
I will not click on the link because I would prefer to make my own top 50 list first. I doubt I would be swayed by the Daily News list that much, if at all, but I'd rather just do my list first and then compare.

I do not know who Dave Goldberg is and I think Hank Gola was "only" a writer. Kim Jones is a WFAN talk show host/NFL Network roving sideline/team facility reporter (whatever). Mike Francesser (hey, that's how he pronounces his name) is a talk show blowhard and former college football broadcaster. Peter King is merely a writer. The other people played or coached or worked for the league or a team.

I don't see any Cheryl Burke or Alex Rodriguez type of person on that panel. NFL Films using Burke and Rodriguez to talk about great NFL players was maybe a little much, but this Daily News panel seems to consist of people in and around the game.

I am not sure what is your issue here.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by King Kong » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:29 am
Reaser wrote:
New York Daily News is doing a list of the Top 50 NFL Players of 'All-Time' . . .

"....I am not sure what is your issue here."

I don't think Reaser had an "issue" at all. I think he was being kind enough to post something others might have missed and to make a brief comment on the panel.

Personally, I think they might have replaced Kim with Lisa Olson. Lisa is more of a "been there; done seen that" gal.
A Shottenheimer or a Landry or a Shula would be pretty solid panelists also.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
King Kong

Post by King Kong »

oldecapecod 11 wrote:
I don't think Reaser had an "issue" at all. I think he was being kind enough to post something others might have missed and to make a brief comment on the panel.

Personally, I think they might have replaced Kim with Lisa Olson. Lisa is more of a "been there; done seen that" gal.
A Shottenheimer or a Landry or a Shula would be pretty solid panelists also.

". . .they decided to add some people to make sure no one would take the list serious."

He has an issue with some of the panelists for a vote that should not be taken all that serious anyway. All the panelists are involved in the NFL in some capacity. It is not like Rob Zombie, Richard Simmons, and Oprah Winfrey are on the panel.

The lack of football credentials for some of these people, in Reaser's opinion, is reminiscent of comments he made in another thread here. Based on this type of thinking, my top 50 list (not that anybody would possibly care) will not be shared here.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Out of 15 panelists, only 4 (possibly 5) can be expected to have any knowledge of NFL players from before 1980. I don't know if that's an issue for Reaser, but it is for me.
paulksandiego

Post by paulksandiego »

Holy smokes! Walter Jones no. 42? Alriiiiighty then..........