"Hunchy" Hoernschemeyer

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
TanksAndSpartans

"Hunchy" Hoernschemeyer

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I just watched the '53 Lions highlights and was really impressed with Hoernschemeyer. He jumped out right at the beginning of the season catching and throwing (HB option) for TDs in week one and followed it up with a beautiful 49 yd TD run in week two. Had he not spent 4 years in the AAFC followed by sharing a backfield with HOFer Doak Walker, I wonder if he would have had a shot at the HOF himself? I suspect he'd take the two titles over compiling big numbers with a lesser team. I'm glad he's in the HOVG.
JuggernautJ

Re: "Hunchy" Hoernschemeyer

Post by JuggernautJ »

Three times Hunchy had the longest run in his league, once in the AAFC (1947, Brooklyn Dodgers, 84 yards) and twice in the NFL (Lions, 1950 for 96 yards and 1951 for 85 yards). In 1949 he led the AAFC in carries (Chicago Hornets) with 133 carries.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... erBo00.htm

In addition to his proficiency passing (as noted above) Hoernschemeyer also punted and played a little defense (3 Ints in the AAFC) and returned kicks and punts.
Good thing he's in the HoVG... or else we'd have to nominate him!
Saban1

Re: "Hunchy" Hoernschemeyer

Post by Saban1 »

JuggernautJ wrote:Three times Hunchy had the longest run in his league, once in the AAFC (1947, Brooklyn Dodgers, 84 yards) and twice in the NFL (Lions, 1950 for 96 yards and 1951 for 85 yards). In 1949 he led the AAFC in carries (Chicago Hornets) with 133 carries.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... erBo00.htm

In addition to his proficiency passing (as noted above) Hoernschemeyer also punted and played a little defense (3 Ints in the AAFC) and returned kicks and punts.
Good thing he's in the HoVG... or else we'd have to nominate him!

Very true. He helped Detroit win a couple of NFL Championships. He was a good one.