HoF Centennial Class - Cases for specific players

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
TanksAndSpartans

HoF Centennial Class - Cases for specific players

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Tony Latone: I have an article that came out recently in Gridiron Greats magazine in support of Latone for the centennial class. Much of what I said is probably written elsewhere, but I feel I got some new stuff in the article about what he was doing prior to 1925 and I'm continuing to research that part of his career. PM me if interested in discussing more.
Last edited by TanksAndSpartans on Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
TanksAndSpartans

Re: HoF Centennial Class - Cases for specific players

Continuing to focus on the 20s, it looks like Guard was a position where no player really dominated postseason honors. Duke Osborn (1921-28, won three titles and almost a 4th with Pottsville in '25; 3 seasons with postseason honors) and Swede Youngstrom (1920-27) appear to be the best. I’d have no problem with Youngstrom in the makeup class - he’s in the HoVG already and on the PFC All-Decade Team.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:Continuing to focus on the 20s, it looks like Guard was a position where no player really dominated postseason honors. Duke Osborn (1921-28, won three titles and almost a 4th with Pottsville in '25; 3 seasons with postseason honors) and Swede Youngstrom (1920-27) appear to be the best. I’d have no problem with Youngstrom in the makeup class - he’s in the HoVG already and on the PFC All-Decade Team.
Id have no issue with youngstrom also ill have to read up on osborn if thats ok
TanksAndSpartans

I may be a little biased on Osborn because the '22 Bulldogs and '25 Maroons are two of my favorite teams and he played for both. I'd be fine with Jim McMillen as the next guard in line - he played for the Bears and he earned postseason honors every year he played - hard to argue with that honors profile.
TanksAndSpartans

I created this thread before it was mentioned in the other thread about using the all-decade teams as a way to identify candidates for the makeup class. It would be great if instead of looking at the HoF all 20s team, they used one of these:

Pro Football Chronicle:

E: Lavie Dilweg, Guy Chamberlin

T: Ed Healey, Duke Slater

G: Gus Sonnenberg (This seems to be a cheat because I show him as a Tackle), Jim McMillen

C: Clyde Smith

B: Paddy Driscoll, Benny Friedman, Ernie Nevers, Tony Latone

Bob Carroll:

E: Lavie Dilweg, Guy Chamberlin
Ray Flaherty

T: Ed Healey, Wilbur Henry
Cal Hubbard
Gus Sonnenberg

G: Swede Youngstrom , Jim McMillen
Mike Michalske

C: George Trafton

B: Paddy Driscoll, Verne Lewellen, Doc Elliott, Benny Friedman