Who is on your NFL broadcast “dream team?”

sheajets

Re: Who is on your NFL broadcast “dream team?”

Post by sheajets »

Don Criqui was my all time favorite play by play guy followed closely by Charlie Jones

Color...of course John Madden

Summerall was fine but I found his voice unbelievably boring. Just seemed like a bore overall. Not even a little bit of personality...almost like a talking computer. I'm sure he wasn't like that in real life but during the games he just never raised his excitement level to match that of the game

I like Howie Long on FOX and thought he could've been a good color guy, very thoughtful and intelligent and brings up great points and analysis. But why would he ever want to with that cushy studio FOX gig.

The hooting and hollering clowns I mute the TV for. Deion Sanders, Michael Irvin, Shannon Sharpe, Michael Strahan. Other than a few interesting anecdotes that slip out sometimes regarding their playing days...they add absolutely nothing and I'm not sure why they're employed.

Joe Buck I don't particularly love either. Big ego and thinks of himself as deadpan funny. Doesn't have much of a personality. Wouldn't have gotten very far if not for his father. But he usually gets the details right

Jim Nantz is a golf announcer doing football. He's usually behind the play and too slow to realize what is happening or what has happened. He can't keep up. A slow/boring sport like golf is where he excels. Nantz almost seems embarrassed to raise his voice
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

rhickok1109 wrote:I opt for complete silence. The only time I turn on the sound is when the officials are discussing something.
Younger members here (are there any?) may not know that this was tried back in '80:

https://www.espn.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=5906858

Side tangent - not an Atlanta Braves fan, but always like how Skip Carey and Pete Van Wieren would use the stadium sounds to fill space in their broadcasts. Seemed to blend well with their unpretentious delivery.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

I have childhood memories of Jim Gibbons and Eddie Gallaher doing Redskin TV games. They were as good as I've ever heard.
JKelly

Post by JKelly »

sheajets wrote:Don Criqui was my all time favorite play by play guy followed closely by Charlie Jones

Jim Nantz is a golf announcer doing football. He's usually behind the play and too slow to realize what is happening or what has happened. He can't keep up. A slow/boring sport like golf is where he excels. Nantz almost seems embarrassed to raise his voice

Don Criqui ...yes very good I believe for a time he was paired with Bob Trumpy always enjoyed them when I had the opportunity to hear them.

Totally agree about Nantz best golf announcer ever other than that.......not so much
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

As play-by-play men, I liked Charlie Jones and Dick Enberg, with Frank Gifford and Don Criqui not far behind. Keith Jackson too, though I suppose he's really a college guy ...
As color men, I liked Howard Cosell and Len Dawson. Tony Romo is also quite good, IMHO.

I agree about Madden. He was a breath of fresh air when he first entered the booth, then later became a pastiche of himself, almost as if he had to keep up the schtick.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Andrew McKillop

Post by Andrew McKillop »

Charlie Jones was my favorite play-by-play announcer. I also liked Verne Lundquist's delivery.

As far as analysts, Merlin Olson was my favorite. It's an unpopular opinion but I think Troy Aikman brings great knowledge and opinions to the broadcasts.

My favorite team was probably the MNF crew of Al Michaels, Frank Gifford, and Dan Dierdorf.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Andrew McKillop wrote:Charlie Jones was my favorite play-by-play announcer. I also liked Verne Lundquist's delivery.

As far as analysts, Merlin Olson was my favorite. It's an unpopular opinion but I think Troy Aikman brings great knowledge and opinions to the broadcasts.

My favorite team was probably the MNF crew of Al Michaels, Frank Gifford, and Dan Dierdorf.

Great choice with Lundquist. Loved him as a play by play guy
Lee Elder

Post by Lee Elder »

My 'dream team' would have included myself and pretty much anyone else, since my original professional goal was to be a radio play-by-play man for an NFL team. But I assume the question was meant to include groupings of announcers with actual talent.

Hank Stram remains the best color commentator I've heard on radio. His work on radio with play-by-play man Jack Buck was tremendous. Buck, too, was really outstanding in his role. So this dream team actually existed.
vikingsfan1963

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

I'd have a pair of 3-man crews one for each half:
1st half: Ray Scott PBP with Hank Stram and John Madden
2nd half: Charlie Jones with Tony Romo and Don Meredith
Dick Enberg and Jim Nantz close behind. Collinsworth is tolerable and Sam Wyche was good until his vocal cords issue. Absolutely cannot stand Booger McFarland. Will not shut up!!! I'll probably watch Monday's Vikings-Seahawks game with the volume on mute!!!
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I chose Pat Summerall and John Madden. The knowledege and chemistry of both of them working together was great.

As for the sideline reporter, I will stick with Bonnie Bernstein if it was a day game, and Melissa Stark if it was a night game.