2022 HoF Semi-Finalists

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Brian wolf

Re: 2022 HoF Semi-Finalists

Post by Brian wolf »

Offensive linemen only get credit and recognition when the skill position players have major success. Alexander's productivity helped get his linemen recognition. Any back with over 90 career TDs has a HOF case ...
racepug

Post by racepug »

sluggermatt15 wrote:But are you really going to say players have to carry teams on their back to be PFHOF worthy?
I'm saying that if it were up to me Shaun Alexander would never get in. His drop-off in production was quite acute once Steven Hutchinson left and within just a couple of years of winning the league M.V.P. award he was basically out of the league. For me both Marshawn "Beast Mode" Lynch and Curt Warner were better running backs than Shaun Alexander was and I'd possibly even consider Chris Warren and Ricky Watters to have been better RBs for the Seahawks than Shaun Alexander was. Heck, I'm not even sure that Shaun Alexander was a better running back than current (and oft-injured) Seattle RB Chris Carson is!
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Injuries also played a role, racepug but Watters was a better receiver than Alexander. Curt Warner could have had a great career minus the injuries but I thought Warren despite talent, was inconsistent. Signing Peterson was message to the current backs to stay healthy and play and there you have it, a big game from Penny who has been a bust ...
racepug

Post by racepug »

sluggermatt15 wrote:but a guy has to be special to win the MVP award.
Well, one definitely has to have a special season to be named league M.V.P. but not everybody stays at that level or achieves that level of play ever again. For a recent example look at Cam Newton.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

racepug wrote:
sluggermatt15 wrote:But are you really going to say players have to carry teams on their back to be PFHOF worthy?
I'm saying that if it were up to me Shaun Alexander would never get in. His drop-off in production was quite acute once Steven Hutchinson left and within just a couple of years of winning the league M.V.P. award he was basically out of the league. For me both Marshawn "Beast Mode" Lynch and Curt Warner were better running backs than Shaun Alexander was and I'd possibly even consider Chris Warren and Ricky Watters to have been better RBs for the Seahawks than Shaun Alexander was. Heck, I'm not even sure that Shaun Alexander was a better running back than current (and oft-injured) Seattle RB Chris Carson is!
I understand your point about the line, and it's true. Alexander also suffered injuries that basically ended his career as well. He made just 20 starts in his final 3 seasons.

Lynch had Russell Wilson under center who had his best years. Wilson is a much better QB than Matt Hasselbeck was.
racepug

Post by racepug »

sluggermatt15 wrote:Wilson is a much better QB than Matt Hasselbeck was.
No question about that. I just remember Shaun Alexander pussy-footing around after "Big Hutch" left, seemingly never being able to make up his mind on what he wanted to do since he then had only one future H.o.F. OL blocking for him. That's why I rate Beast Mode and Chris Carson ahead of him - they got/get the job done w/o the benefit of superior blocking (as everyone who follows the Seahawks knows).
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

racepug wrote:
hmm... does that mean Zeke Elliott is a mediocre JAG because the Cowboy line has been legendary for just about his whole career, and when the team was decimated last year, his productivity suffered?