So, now it was Doomsday that changed the game?

JohnTurney

So, now it was Doomsday that changed the game?

Post by JohnTurney »

The game has changed so much that it is hard to keep up with who caused all the changes
Depends on who you ask, I guess

Link
https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/ ... t-defense/
Quick history lesson number two (I know you’re thrilled about this): largely because the Flex was so great in the Seventies (Randy White and Harvey Martin were named co-MVPs in Super Bowl XII in 1978), the NFL began drastically changing the rules, producing a more exciting offense. Defensive players could only bump a receiver one time, offensive linemen were allowed more freedom to hold, and defensive linemen could no longer head-slap blockers. Naturally, NFL (earns turned to aerial attacks, and the only way the defenses could stop the passing game was through the blitz or through pass-heavy defenses where as many as seven defensive backs would come onto the field for certain plays. The new holding rules also allowed a different breed of offensive linemen to enter the game, big men who weighed close to 300 pounds and whose job was to tie up defensive linemen at the line of scrimmage with simple straight-ahead blocking. As a result, it became much more difficult for [he Cowboys’ Flex linemen to make their tricky moves.

Jay Z

Re: So, now it was Doomsday that changed the game?

Post by Jay Z »

The Flex was a great D to play in if you were a D lineman. Not so much if you were a D back. The Cowboys always underperformed in the secondary as to personnel and results.
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

JohnTurney wrote:The game has changed so much that it is hard to keep up with who caused all the changes
Depends on who you ask, I guess

Link
https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/ ... t-defense/
Quick history lesson number two (I know you’re thrilled about this): largely because the Flex was so great in the Seventies (Randy White and Harvey Martin were named co-MVPs in Super Bowl XII in 1978), the NFL began drastically changing the rules, producing a more exciting offense. Defensive players could only bump a receiver one time, offensive linemen were allowed more freedom to hold, and defensive linemen could no longer head-slap blockers. Naturally, NFL (earns turned to aerial attacks, and the only way the defenses could stop the passing game was through the blitz or through pass-heavy defenses where as many as seven defensive backs would come onto the field for certain plays. The new holding rules also allowed a different breed of offensive linemen to enter the game, big men who weighed close to 300 pounds and whose job was to tie up defensive linemen at the line of scrimmage with simple straight-ahead blocking. As a result, it became much more difficult for [he Cowboys’ Flex linemen to make their tricky moves.

Don't you know that pretty much everyone changed the game? :roll:

That phrase is so over-used that it no longer has meaning.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

So whom, if anyone, do you think did change the game?

Red Grange might be one example...
Since then has any single individual really been responsible for a sea change in professional football?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Friedman or Hutson
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

The most common misconception is that Bob Hayes changed the game.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

My wife just wants me to change the channel.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Gogolak
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Jay Z wrote:Gogolak
There were two Golumpkis, weren't there?
golumpki.jpg
golumpki.jpg (55.62 KiB) Viewed 5102 times
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Dammitt Richard, youre making me hungry! Go Lions!!