Monday Night Football

Ronfitch

Re: Monday Night Football

Post by Ronfitch »

Citizen wrote:I'm generally not one to reflexively criticize all things modern, but I must agree on how sporting events have gotten. At Twins games, you literally cannot have a conversation with the person sitting next to you because the din between pitches/batters/innings is so oppressive and incessant. They have decided on our behalf that the game is not entertaining enough and that we need to be bombarded with sound every single second. I can't be the only one who feels deterred from buying a ticket because I don't want to be subjected to this.
I cannot speak to Twins’ games, but the St. Paul Saints’s (Twins’ AAA affiliate) games now have the same issue.

When there is no promotion between innings - which the Saints excelled at as an independent minor league team for decades - the music pumped through the stadium speakers is painfully loud. Talking to ushers, they mention that this happened when the team became the AAA affiliate for the Twins a couple of years ago … I don’t recall the ear-splitting music before then and have caught a few Saints games a season for many years going back to the ‘90s).

I now take my ear plugs that I had made for concerts (25db reduction) … to a baseball game … outside.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
JWL

Post by JWL »

Citizen wrote:I'm generally not one to reflexively criticize all things modern, but I must agree on how sporting events have gotten. At Twins games, you literally cannot have a conversation with the person sitting next to you because the din between pitches/batters/innings is so oppressive and incessant. They have decided on our behalf that the game is not entertaining enough and that we need to be bombarded with sound every single second. I can't be the only one who feels deterred from buying a ticket because I don't want to be subjected to this.
My mom, who was 66 years old at the time, enjoyed the Jets-Buccaneers game in 2017 because of the lack of quiet, dead time. So, to each their own. NFL games, although I rarely go to them, and MLB games don't bother me. NBA games are the rough ones for me. The horns are the worst part.
Last edited by JWL on Wed May 17, 2023 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Ronfitch wrote:I cannot speak to Twins’ games, but the St. Paul Saints’s (Twins’ AAA affiliate) games now have the same issue.
Ha, as it happens I work part-time for them, selling and scanning tickets. Yes, they are every bit as bad as the parent club when it comes to this. The fun, funky Saints of Midway Stadium are a dim memory.
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

Citizen wrote:
Ronfitch wrote:I cannot speak to Twins’ games, but the St. Paul Saints’s (Twins’ AAA affiliate) games now have the same issue.
Ha, as it happens I work part-time for them, selling and scanning tickets. Yes, they are every bit as bad as the parent club when it comes to this. The fun, funky Saints of Midway Stadium are a dim memory.
"Train."

But the new stadium is really lovely. And I like that part of St. Paul a lot - we have talked about moving in there once the child is off to college. I have long talked about getting an usher gig at Saints games in retirement, should I make it to that.

Now I will wonder if you are the one scanning my ticket when I go this season.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen