1973 AFC playoffs had Denver won finale at Oakland?

74_75_78_79_

1973 AFC playoffs had Denver won finale at Oakland?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Week #14 pitted the Broncos - having already clinched their first winning season - against the Raiders in a de facto 'AFC West Championship Game' at Alameda! Denver was at 7-4-2 going in; Oakland at 8-4-1 (don't you just miss TIES)!

Raiders dominate the first half yet allow Broncos to 'only' be down, 14-3, at the half instead of what it should have been...17-0. Denver plays much better in the second half! They close the gap to 4 on two occasions with the latter being with more than 3 minutes left, making it 21-17. But they don't get the ball back from Oakland until it was too late. Plus, Charley went out early in the 4th with Ramsey having to finish the game for Denver at QB.

Had Denver turned that close-enough loss into a victory, not only do they earn their first trip to the playoffs four years earlier, and not only would their first playoff game had also been at home, but their first-ever playoff opponent also would have been...against the Steelers!

Before assuming that the 'Burgh would have had it much easier in this scenario than against the Immaculate-revenge-thirsty Raiders, not so fast! Denver beat Steelers at Three Rivers in Week #10 by a score of 23-13. And in Week #2 the following season, despite overtime now being implemented, both teams play to a 35-35 tie!

How does that divisional - at Mile High vs Broncos instead - turn out for next year's Champs? And if Steelers win, do they by possible chance pick up where they left off in their last (Monday Night) rally-in-vain meeting four weeks prior at Miami? Sure enough Miami doesn't open up a 30-3 halftime lead, Steelers keep it respectable throughout. But its no nail-biter either; a simple exemplifier that next year's draft is still needed for the 'Burgh.

And if Denver pulls it out...what would they be able to offer the defending-World Champs in the AFCCG?? Despite having Lyle, no 'Orange Crush' otherwise just yet. More offense-heavy these Broncos were. Very ripe for a clock-chewing Dolphin-steamrolling with Denver hardly getting the ball.

Charley would need to be back for the playoffs, plain and simple, for there to be any chance!
Cali_Eagle

Re: 1973 AFC playoffs had Denver won finale at Oakland?

Post by Cali_Eagle »

It's too bad the NFL put OT rules in for television to try and control the length of games. I also would prefer a high possibility of a game ending in a tie.

One thing I recall in that 1973 Denver-Oakland game (So long ago that the Broncos actually were wearing the best uniform they have ever fielded. Why do they all have to darken their colors all the time?) I recall on Denver's last possession, possibly last play, was that they tried an intricate trick play to try and totally bamboozle the Oakland defense. Memory tells me, fakes, multiple ball handlers and that it was to end in a pass down field. I seem to recall this from "This Week in Pro Football" the great show with Tom Brookshier and Pat Summerall, that every element of the play broke down, bad pitches, players in wrong positions, players going wrong directions, etc. the whole thing fell apart instantly, Oakland recovered and ran out the clock. The only people the play "bamboozled" was the Denver offense. Their fans had to be just sick for the Broncos to come that close and spit the bit at the last second.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

If Johnson returns for the Steeler game, they win that at home before losing to Miami (no matter who is QB for them) in the AFC Title Game.

If not, the Steelers probably win, and get another crack at Miami (they lost in December in Miami on MNF with Gilliam at QB). I don't see that going too well for them, especially with the way they played in Oakland.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

There was a key play at the start of the 4th quarter that swung the momentum of the game after Denver had cut the lead to 14-10.
Facing 3rd and 10 on their own 49-yardline, Denver coach John Ralston opted to try a fake punt on a short snap to the up-back Joe Dawkins, who was nailed for no gain. Three plays later Ken Stabler hit Mike Siani on a TD bomb to increase the Raiders lead to 21-10. This play is not shown on any of the NFL Films highlights of the game, but given the circumstances to me it remains one of the most inane calls I've ever seen. :shock:
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

RRMarshall wrote:There was a key play at the start of the 4th quarter that swung the momentum of the game after Denver had cut the lead to 14-10.
Facing 3rd and 10 on their own 49-yardline, Denver coach John Ralston opted to try a fake punt on a short snap to the up-back Joe Dawkins, who was nailed for no gain. Three plays later Ken Stabler hit Mike Siani on a TD bomb to increase the Raiders lead to 21-10. This play is not shown on any of the NFL Films highlights of the game, but given the circumstances to me it remains one of the most inane calls I've ever seen. :shock:
Worked like a charm in Stanford's Rose Bowl upset of Michigan. Take chances like that and it works, you look like a genius. Fail and you're a chump.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

Worked like a charm in Stanford's Rose Bowl upset of Michigan. Take chances like that and it works, you look like a genius. Fail and you're a chump.
Except in this case the play call was not warranted. It was a 3rd and 10, not short yardage. Plus Denver had gained the momentum and could have put Oakland deep in their own territory, and the Broncos' defense had shut the Raiders out in the 2nd half. In a risk-reward situation like this you have to weight the consequences of failure versus success. If the play didn't work you give Oakland renewed life in your own territory, which is exactly what happened. The only thing I can possibly attribute to Ralston's decision was losing QB Johnson on the previous play and he did not have confidence in Ramsey taking the controls for the rest of the game. But everyone I watched the game with agreed it wasn't the right call, and it decided the game in favor of the Raiders.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Obviously if Charley had not been knocked out on the previous play then Ralston may have chosen a different path. In most cases it would make sense to try & pin them deep.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

RRMarshall wrote:
Except in this case the play call was not warranted. It was a 3rd and 10, not short yardage. Plus Denver had gained the momentum and could have put Oakland deep in their own territory, and the Broncos' defense had shut the Raiders out in the 2nd half. In a risk-reward situation like this you have to weight the consequences of failure versus success. If the play didn't work you give Oakland renewed life in your own territory, which is exactly what happened. The only thing I can possibly attribute to Ralston's decision was losing QB Johnson on the previous play and he did not have confidence in Ramsey taking the controls for the rest of the game. But everyone I watched the game with agreed it wasn't the right call, and it decided the game in favor of the Raiders.
It was a 4th down play, early in the 4th quarter. Raiders ahead 14-10. Raiders took over at Denver 48 and scored TD in three plays.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Denver fans still have to admire Charley Johnson driving the team down the field to get in position for a game tying FG that prevented a loss on MNF in the first game. Johnson was pedestrian but at least kept them in the race before the Raiders won it on the final weekend. Had it not been for the government wanting his mind to make war profits in the late 60s, his career might have been even better, though injuries played a role, especially in 1966 ...