Seniors

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JohnTurney

Re: Seniors

Post by JohnTurney »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:John, thanks for the insight on Wistert/Belichick and the Centennial class.

Personally, I don't have Emerson and Lewellen even with the others, although I like them for the HOF. I still go by this:
Screen Shot 2023-07-14 at 5.46.43 PM.png
Wistert would be great, but learned not to get hopes up.
That makes sense ... fair enough.

The Lewellen/Dilweg is an interesting debate and one I cannot pick a side. Some PFRA people
prefer Lewellen and some prefer Dilweg.

To me ... I just let people who know the subject better fight it out.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Brian wolf wrote:Despite Harold Jackson being ignored again, its interesting that his teammate, Stanley Morgan had six seasons with less than 35 receptions, though he was a great deep threat. You would think he would have more TDs though but despite a long career, only 76 career TDs counting postseason and special teams.
Don't forget about Howton and Shofner
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I stand corrected on Morgan, I think John may have brought up his TDs-to-catches ratio being good but it seemed to me that Morgan should have had alot more catches for the long time he played but in fairness, he played with Jackson, Fryar and Francis as well, so thats a good reason why he didnt catch as much. As a deep threat, he has a great case, though he doesnt remind me of Paul Warfield or Lance Alworth, yet had he been more clutch, he might have already gotten voted in.

In terms of senior deep-threats deserving of the Hall ... the best available are Jackson, Shofner and Powell--the AFLs version of Terrell Owens--when I watch him. Yet the AFL bias is real for its early stars and is justified.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Brian wolf wrote:I stand corrected on Morgan, I think John may have brought up his TDs-to-catches ratio being good but it seemed to me that Morgan should have had alot more catches for the long time he played but in fairness, he played with Jackson, Fryar and Francis as well, so thats a good reason why he didnt catch as much. As a deep threat, he has a great case, though he doesnt remind me of Paul Warfield or Lance Alworth, yet had he been more clutch, he might have already gotten voted in.

In terms of senior deep-threats deserving of the Hall ... the best available are Jackson, Shofner and Powell--the AFLs version of Terrell Owens--when I watch him. Yet the AFL bias is real for its early stars and is justified.
Agreed on those three brian but ny ranking would be jackson powell shofner
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Big shoutout to Ken Crippen on his piece for TOFTWO about Lavvie Dilweg. I realize he and Lewellen cancel each other out but do you feel if Isbell or Sharpe were to get elected it could help Dilweg next year and beyond? Though I like Lewellen just slightly more, you wonder how many more chances these guys can get going beyond 2025?
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Brian wolf wrote:Big shoutout to Ken Crippen on his piece for TOFTWO about Lavvie Dilweg. I realize he and Lewellen cancel each other out but do you feel if Isbell or Sharpe were to get elected it could help Dilweg next year and beyond? Though I like Lewellen just slightly more, you wonder how many more chances these guys can get going beyond 2025?
Agreed brian their chances are running out now In terms of dilweg to get inducted he needs sharpe to get in this year
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

Brian wolf wrote:Big shoutout to Ken Crippen on his piece for TOFTWO about Lavvie Dilweg. I realize he and Lewellen cancel each other out but do you feel if Isbell or Sharpe were to get elected it could help Dilweg next year and beyond? Though I like Lewellen just slightly more, you wonder how many more chances these guys can get going beyond 2025?
Thank you.

Honestly, if Sharpe or Isbell were to get in, would that create an even bigger fatigue for voters when it comes to inducting Packers players? Especially Isbell, as an older Packer. My personal opinion is that if Isbell were to get inducted, that kills any chance for Dilweg or Lewellen.
Football Learning Academy: https://www.football-learning-academy.com
An online school teaching football history.

FLA Podcast: https://www.football-learning-academy.com/pages/podcast
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Ken Crippen wrote:
Thank you.

Honestly, if Sharpe or Isbell were to get in, would that create an even bigger fatigue for voters when it comes to inducting Packers players? Especially Isbell, as an older Packer. My personal opinion is that if Isbell were to get inducted, that kills any chance for Dilweg or Lewellen.
Fully agreed ken 100% speaking of sharpe would anyone blame me if I'm not fully convinced on sharpe
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

rewing84 wrote:
Ken Crippen wrote:
Thank you.

Fully agreed ken 100% speaking of sharpe would anyone blame me if I'm not fully convinced on sharpe

His case is not a lock, so I would not hold it against you.
Football Learning Academy: https://www.football-learning-academy.com
An online school teaching football history.

FLA Podcast: https://www.football-learning-academy.com/pages/podcast
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Thanks for understanding my point of view on sharpe ken