Calvin Hill - HoVG?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JeffreyMiller

Calvin Hill - HoVG?

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Offensive Rookie-of-the-Year (1969). Four-time All-Pro selections (two first-team). Four Pro Bowls. Two 1,000-yard rushing seasons (in 14-game schedules). Played a key role in the Cowboys’ first-ever Super Bowl championship. What say the judges?
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
RichardBak

Re: Calvin Hill - HoVG?

Post by RichardBak »

I say yes. It's interesting how Cleveland utilized him during his last 2 seasons---just 5 carries but 44 receptions (incl. 8 receiving TDs).
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

As always, it would depend on who else is on the ballot at any particular time but I think Cal would make an excellent addition to the HoVG.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... llCa00.htm
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JeffreyMiller wrote:Offensive Rookie-of-the-Year (1969). Four-time All-Pro selections (two first-team). Four Pro Bowls. Two 1,000-yard rushing seasons (in 14-game schedules). Played a key role in the Cowboys’ first-ever Super Bowl championship. What say the judges?
I'd say yes, but prob behind these guys--I see them in same grouping
Lydell Mitchell
Wilbert Montgomery
Billy Sims
George Rogers
Lawrence McCutcheon
Last edited by JohnTurney on Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Tex Schramm was dumb letting him go to the WFL, though in fairness, Hill had been having injury problems since 1970, though Duane Thomas and Walt Garrison were getting carries he could have had. Maybe injuries were a problem in Washington as well? Like his son, a great talent who could have done more without the injuries and wasnt appreciated enough by the Cowboys front office.
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

JeffreyMiller wrote:Offensive Rookie-of-the-Year (1969). Four-time All-Pro selections (two first-team). Four Pro Bowls. Two 1,000-yard rushing seasons (in 14-game schedules). Played a key role in the Cowboys’ first-ever Super Bowl championship. What say the judges?
As a rookie, Calvin was named 1969 Pro Football Player of the Year by the Miami Touchdown Club and finished 4th in AP's NFL MVP voting.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Despite sharing carries with many backs over his career, Hill was 21st on the all-time leaders list for scrimmage yards at retirement. Not too shabby and had Cleveland had more quality defenders on their team from 1978-1981, Hill might have gotten another chance at a championship.