Brandon Jacobs on RBs

sheajets

Re: Brandon Jacobs on RBs

Post by sheajets »

Bryan wrote:I don't think that's really true. The RB position kind of ebbs and flows.

I remember when this came out in 1990, and then Barry and Emmitt kind of dominated the rest of the decade. At some point the RB will become more of the focal point in offense, either due to some strategy element, rule change, or just a great incoming RB class. I think the year OJ was drafted, Dickie Post led the AFL in rushing with like 879 yards. Its hard to make definitive statements.
Also remember an article from SPORT magazine believe around 96 or 97 "Nasty, Brutish, and Short" the life of an NFL running back. I believe at that point the average career of a running back that came into the league averaged out to just under three seasons.
Zero26

Post by Zero26 »

The issue is that RB and/or FB was traditionally the leagues second most prominent position. Top athletes chose to play Running Back with the expectation they were one of the teams most important players. And until they reach the NFL running backs are still treated that way then they get to the NFL and they are treated like they are easy to replace and their accolades aren't worth anything because a cheaper running back(or quarterback) can get most of their production. Of course they are going to feel cheated especially given running backs suffer the worst physical toll. If not for that it'd just be like kickers and punters but this is a position that doesn't really make sense to play if the compensation isn't life changing. If Derrick Henry has to take a "team friendly deal" and nothing short of that can get a contract what is really the point from the running backs perspective?

Also the franchise tag is based on the idea the top players at that position are getting paid if they are not the whole thing doesn't work. And it not working just incentives teams to use the tag on a RB more. The RBs have got themselves in a perpetual hamster wheel of sorts even if they successfully stay healthy for their whole prime. And that's the elite ones.

Not that the new logic about running backs is correct despite RBs allegedly being a dime a dozen the Lions could not find one during the Stafford, Megatron era.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Good point on "the dime a dozen" perspective Zero26 ... the position should be one of the most important on the team because runners help the offensive line, QBs, receivers and defense getting rest. Teams have simply, stubbornly de-emphasized their role of importance because head coaches and offensive coordinators have wanted to throw the ball to receivers that occasionally get hit and tackled. Passing attracts young fans but running can help everything during a game.

Despite runners supposedly being more supply than demand, the Miami Dolphins havent had a 1000 yrd rusher since 2016 ... a number of teams are going through this because the position isnt considered important enough.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

In the Dolphins existence, only Csonka and Ricky Williams have had multiple 1,000 yard seasons (3 each). 7 other backs did it once. I remember a lot of talk of getting a running back to compliment Marino, but it never really happened. I haven't paid much attention in recent years, so when I saw Ryan Fitzpatrick was the leading rusher in 2019, I checked a couple different sources. I thought it must be an error.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I understand the Hank Stram-committee approach for most teams and their running games but a team usually has a leading ball carrier and numerous teams fail to produce a 1000 yard rusher. Its no coincidence that these teams have losing records as well. Josh Allen of the Bills is their best RB but he carries too much of an offensive load; he needs more help or may never win a championship. I am pulling for him though, because he isnt far behind Jim Kelly as Buffalo's best ever QB, though Jack Kemp fans will disagree. Its that close between the three ...