NFL Controversial Plays Prior to 1960

JoeZagorski

NFL Controversial Plays Prior to 1960

Post by JoeZagorski »

Hey Guys,
I am trying to locate sources of controversial plays in the NFL prior to 1960. Thus far, Google and Wikipedia have not been helpful. Do any of you know where I might be able to obtain such a list and/or information about the topic? I don't know if there are any online sources discussing controversial plays prior to 1960, but you guys might know of some. Thanks for any information that you can provide.
Sincerely,
Joe Zagorski
Bob Gill

Re: NFL Controversial Plays Prior to 1960

Post by Bob Gill »

Bo Russell's field goal attempt that was ruled no good in the final game of the 1939 season -- that was a big one, similar to Don Chandler's game-tying kick in the 1965 playoff game. It put the Giants in championship game rather than the Redskins.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Pro Football Chronicle by Dan Daly & Bob O' Donnell from 1990 or before, deals with some of those stories and oddites
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I guess Warren Lahr's INT on the final play of the '50 NFLCG isn't considered "controversial". It didn't seem to make waves with everyone. Momentum clearly carried him ten yards into the endzone which Glenn Davis guided him into.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

In the 1932 playoff game, played indoors, there was doubt as to whether Bronko Nagurski
was 5 years behind the line of scrimmage on his pass to Grange

Chris Willis's books have details on this...he has biographies of both players
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

I would suggest Ed Meadow's late hit of Bobby Layne in week 12 of 1956 might fall within this category. The only known game film with the play had that exact moment spliced out. Three reasons possible as to why it was removed. 1) Lions wanted it saved as evidence of malicious intent. 2) Bears wanted it to disappear. And least likely...3) It was viewed so many times (reverse, forward, repeat) that the sprockets were damaged and it had to be removed.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Does anyone have, or know a source to the Meadows hit on Bobby Layne? I thought I saw a clip when Youtube first started but not sure if it was from that, or NFL films on television. I guess the Bears got what they deserved with a terrible championship game against the Giants but Layne and Parker might have won their third championship together, without that concussion ...
Cali_Eagle

Post by Cali_Eagle »

The Chicago Cardinals victory over Milwaukee Badgers in 1925 59-0 against a team with some High School players on it would be insanely controversial today. And it's still in the record books as an official game.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

JohnTurney wrote:In the 1932 playoff game, played indoors, there was doubt as to whether Bronko Nagurski
was 5 years behind the line of scrimmage on his pass to Grange

Chris Willis's books have details on this...he has biographies of both players
This is why I wish we had a "like" button on the forum. I would think that would be the most controversial of that era - whether Nagurski threw an illegal forward pass or not.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

I always think about the 1960 Pat Harder Len Ford incident where Len was kicked out for having his cheek get in the way of Harder's elbow. Ejections, fines, films to the commissioner, etc, etc.