Next rule change

racepug

Re: Next rule change

Post by racepug »

Bob Gill wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:16 pmBy the way, a question from earlier in this thread: What's a "hip drop" tackle?
To me a "hip-drop tackle" is nothing more than a type of tackle in football. But now they're giving it a name so that they can contemplate outlawing it (I guess). I generally haven't been one to complain about the rules changes over the years too much cuz I DO think that some of the stuff (such as the "Night Train Necktie" or the "head slap" or the aggressive shots doled out by the likes of the Raiders' "Soul Patrol") that was allowed "back in the day" WAS a bit too over-the-top and brutal and was rightfully outlawed from the game. But now even I am beginning to think that the pendulum is swinging a bit too far in favor of "caution" and "safety." (such as the way that defenders can seemingly take a QB down in only 1 or 2 "approved" ways w/o being called for "Roughing the passer") As the football commentator Charles Davis (I would LOVE to sit down with him and "pick his brain" about football) has said: "There's only so much you can take out of the game of football before it's no longer football." Well said, and "Amen!" to that.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

What about calling the shove out of bounds complete again? That changed that rule a while back.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Word is Goodell is looking to ban the Eagles' famous QB sneak shove.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nf ... r-AA1kVQx2
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

sluggermatt15 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:27 pm Word is Goodell is looking to ban the Eagles' famous QB sneak shove.

I despise the assisting of the ball carrier to increase yards. The NFL never should have dropped the rule against it.

As for the “hip-drop” tackle, that is merely tackling. Unless the new rule is that no player can ever not have at least one leg planted at all times, banning the “hip-drop” tackle is trying to ban gravity.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Ronfitch wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:34 pm I despise the assisting of the ball carrier to increase yards. The NFL never should have dropped the rule against it.
Amen to that.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Ronfitch wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:34 pm
sluggermatt15 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:27 pm Word is Goodell is looking to ban the Eagles' famous QB sneak shove.

I despise the assisting of the ball carrier to increase yards. The NFL never should have dropped the rule against it.

100% agree.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Ronfitch wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:34 pm I despise the assisting of the ball carrier to increase yards. The NFL never should have dropped the rule against it.
Yes, its gotten quite absurd. In general, it seems that even the 'interpretation' of the rules always favors the offense. There was a play in Texans-Broncos game where the Broncos RB catches a pass, is getting tackled, breaks away from the tackle but has the ball ripped from his grasp for a scoop and score. Seems like a normal play, yet after the play is over the refs huddle up and deem that the RBs 'forward progress' had stopped and Denver is given the ball back at the spot of the tackle.

Compare this to two plays from the MNF game. First play involves Pacheco getting stopped, slowly pushed forward 5 yards, stopped, pushed forward 10 more yards. OK. Second play was the end of the game where Vontez-Scandling catches a pass and is continually pushed backward until VS reaches the ball out of bounds. No "forward progress stopped" call was made, and the ref stopped the clock with 19 seconds left and could have changed the outcome of the game. Had VS been correctly ruled stopped in the field of play, KC would have been scrambling to get one final pass play off.

I'll end with my own personal rant against Patrick Mahomes and QBs in general. Its the play where they are scrambling to the sideline and then at the last instant when the defender has to pull up or risk a personal foul penalty, Mahomes will cut upfield for more yards. Mahomes had a scramble at the end of the game where he runs to the sideline but then was going to be short of the mark, so he stayed in bounds and got leveled by the DB. The refs penalized GB for a late hit and awarded KC a 1st down. Again, this could have changed the outcome of the game, but I just think the concept itself is bogus. Very unsporting of Mahomes to take advantage of the rules, and very lame of the officials to award this behavior. JMO.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Bryan wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:53 am I'll end with my own personal rant against Patrick Mahomes and QBs in general. Its the play where they are scrambling to the sideline and then at the last instant when the defender has to pull up or risk a personal foul penalty, Mahomes will cut upfield for more yards. Mahomes had a scramble at the end of the game where he runs to the sideline but then was going to be short of the mark, so he stayed in bounds and got leveled by the DB. The refs penalized GB for a late hit and awarded KC a 1st down. Again, this could have changed the outcome of the game, but I just think the concept itself is bogus. Very unsporting of Mahomes to take advantage of the rules, and very lame of the officials to award this behavior. JMO.
Was a few years ago we all -believe you included- 'ranted' about QBs doing that on the sideline. Russell Wilson was great with the Seahawks at getting the extra 2-5 cheap yards after angling OOB then turning upfield and sticking the ball out. Lot of QBs take advantage of that.

Not a lot do what Mahomes does, which is much more unsporting, and that is his flopping on the sideline when he's touched -- last night wasn't an example since he actually took the hit before he could get OOB, but naturally got the call anyway. A couple years into his career he had to have already led pro football in flops all-time, and not even basketball-style trying to draw the foul but full soccer-esque as embarrassing to the sport as possible flopping. Does it frequently, almost always gets the call because modern-NFL but even times he hasn't got the call he still goes down like a bag-of-bricks and looks ridiculous. Or, for example, the AFCCG when he was pushed as he got OOB -yay, another NFL game decided by a penalty- he went limp and acted like he got shot in the back instead of the medium-strength push/shove he received. Fraudulent behavior. When announcers fawn over a sidearm pass -that's been done a thousand times before him- and say how he invented it and he's the only one that can ever throw from that angle, it'd be much more accurate for them to say "no one has ever flopped like Mahomes." Didn't invent that either, but owns it much more than say, a no-look pass that I saw in middle school games in the 90s but of course he invented the entire concept of that too, according to the geniuses that cover football these days.

Semi-related, Josh Allen has picked up some flopping/selling it habits, as well. Trying to get roughing the passer and such. Getting more egregious and ridiculous looking every time he does it, but I wouldn't put him in the same category as Mahomes.