WRs who could/should have won MVP

Brian wolf

Re: WRs who could/should have won MVP

Post by Brian wolf »

Moss had one of the greatest rookie seasons ever, but with Cunningham, Carter and Smith having great seasons as well, hard to collect MVP.
Hail Casares

Post by Hail Casares »

Just looked and Moss finished 4th. Cunningham 3rd. I just think Moss was the thing that finally made that the Vikings peak.
JameisBrownston

Post by JameisBrownston »

Having now missed a game, Tyreek's chances are shot. I think it'll take a 2000/20 season for a WR to do it in this era.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

It will be interesting to see who covers Hill, Bland or Gillmore. I would put Gilmore on him but Waddle is tough as well. Can Miami beat a good team?
Ness

Post by Ness »

JohnTurney wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:45 am
Ness wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:22 am Elway getting the award over Montana/Rice was nutty. I think that's the only time we had a QB win MVP, but not get 1st-Team All-Pro lmao.
It was eye test award plus the aspect of "value" as in the literal definition --like when middle infielders win the MVP in baseball ... back in the day Dick Groat or Nellie Fox. Their "value" was more than the sum of their stats. To intangibles, all the things you read about.

Elway's teams were nothing without him, esp in the late 1980s ... and the plays he made that (and other years) year and the arm and legs and the "wow" factor was the sentiment, IMO.

Not saying I agree with that -- or disagree -- I think that was the reasoning. The best part of that, though, is when younger people see the stats (Elway, Aikman, Namath ) that don't meet certain standards it sparks debate. Those are always fun ...
Actually I think the same logic applies today, and probably why Lamar Jackson will be the MVP runner. Because of his "sandlot" plays. Funny, because on some of those plays where Jackson runs for a loco 20 yard run, he's missing an open receiver somewhere in the progression. People don't see that though.
JameisBrownston

Ness wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:22 am You're not wrong :D

Elway getting the award over Montana/Rice was nutty. I think that's the only time we had a QB win MVP, but not get 1st-Team All-Pro lmao.
It's about to happen again. I think Dak gets 1st team and Purdy 2nd team. This has to be the worst NFL regular season I've personally watched.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I think Purdy will be first team All-Pro, JS with Jackson winning MVP.

What are your feelings on Jameis Winston disregarding his coach and getting another TD? Just something that will blow over, Winston getting disiplined or Allen feeling like he has lost his team? He was hot today and felt Smith was justified but some players didnt see a problem. The Falcons players dogged it for their fired coach and were embarr-assed.
JameisBrownston

Brian wolf wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:06 pm I think Purdy will be first team All-Pro, JS with Jackson winning MVP.

What are your feelings on Jameis Winston disregarding his coach and getting another TD? Just something that will blow over, Winston getting disiplined or Allen feeling like he has lost his team? He was hot today and felt Smith was justified but some players didnt see a problem. The Falcons players dogged it for their fired coach and were embarr-assed.
I think kneeling is only acceptable behavior in one-score games anyways (to remove the minuscule chance of a fumble), so I'm cool with it.

I have to wonder if a team has ever fumbled on a kneeldown play...