1959 Packers

Ken Pullis

1959 Packers

Post by Ken Pullis »

Has anyone been watching the YouTube series on the 1959 Packers: A Deep Look? It is a very detailed account of the Packers first season under Vince Lombardi. There are at least 20 separate episodes. He mispronounces a few names but seems to have the facts right and it is this kind of in depth look at a team's season that I find very interesting.
JohnTurney

Lot's of good quotes, research

Post by JohnTurney »

in that series.

Lots of details I was not aware of ... salaries ... I bet Cliff and John M and Eric G. would like it. Would love to hear their thoughts, but then again, a lot of stuff that was new to me wouldn't be to them.

I was aware of Nitschke getting benched ... and they cover that. Nitschke was a huge face of the defense --- and when you look at his career it started slow and ended slow --- and dominant in middle.

However, Nitschke was a great ST player according to what I have seen and read. Cliff C or John or Eric might be able to confirm
Citizen

Re: 1959 Packers

Post by Citizen »

Thanks for the tip.

Somebody put out a book years back that contained contemporaneous scouting reports of current and prospective Packers from that era. Nitschke was such a handful that they were just dying for an excuse to get rid of him.

It's fun to read how little scouts sugar-coated their reports back then. They would just come out and say, "This guy is stupid. Don't waste your time with him."
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Citizen wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:20 am Thanks for the tip.

Somebody put out a book years back that contained contemporaneous scouting reports of current and prospective Packers from that era. Nitschke was such a handful that they were just dying for an excuse to get rid of him.

It's fun to read how little scouts sugar-coated their reports back then. They would just come out and say, "This guy is stupid. Don't waste your time with him."
That was pretty much my future father-in-law's scouting report of me back in '71 when I started dating his daughter. :P
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Yes, this sounds like an interesting series.

And that scouting report book is excellent. I think it's called something like, "What they didn't tell us." It's not easy to find.

I highly recommend John Eisenberg's "That First Season" which covers the 1959 Packers. Interesting team with a lot of great stories.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I hope the series mentions Jack Vainisi and the talent he brought in, along with with his role in helping Lombardi get the job. I haven't watched it yet ... I wonder if it will spotlight the team getting rid of Billy Howton, then Timmy Brown after the season?