NFL "what-if" scenarios thread

Bryan

Re: NFL "what-if" scenarios thread

Post by Bryan »

Looking at the 1977 postseason....

this is probably selling the 77 Broncos short, because Denver usually played Pittsburgh tough (although they got stomped in the 78 playoffs and 79 regular season), but what if the Steelers defeat Denver? Do they win against Oakland in the AFC Championship game? Do they defeat the 77 Cowboys?

On a side note, it was a strange season. Dallas was probably the best team, but Teams #2 - #7 were all in the AFC (IMO). Not sure if a team has had an easier "road to the Super Bowl" than the 77 Cowboys.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

What if Johnny Unitas had played until he was 75 without losing any of his skills?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Good question Bryan ...

The Raiders beat the Steelers in Pitts during the 77' regular season but it might have been different in the championship game. I think a close win for Oakland--especially if the Tooz was motivated and not hungover--and feel either the Raiders or Steelers might have beaten the Cowboys, but it's tough to call. Hollywood Henderson, Harvey Martin and Randy White had great seasons, with Dorsett the wild card with his speed ...

The Raiders three straight wins over the Steelers during 76-77 possibly could have stayed in their heads but they weren't going to go out lightly, if at all. The Steelers kicked the Cowboys butt in Texas Stadium that year ...
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

Bryan wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:54 pm MDallas was probably the best team, but Teams #2 - #7 were all in the AFC (IMO). Not sure if a team has had an easier "road to the Super Bowl" than the 77 Cowboys.
73 Dolphins

I think we overrate the strength of the AFC as outside of the 70 Colts/77 Broncos the AFC for the rest of the decade was basically a 3 team league
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I don't agree about the 73 Dolphins ... the expectations of defending a world championship is difficult for any team, especially since it was only done thrice since the end of the 1959 season when Baltimore and Green Bay did it--excluding the AFL*-- The Dolphins hammered the Bengals, Raiders and Vikings. They met their goals for team and fans alike. It was also their third consecutive SB appearance, the FIRST team to achieve it ...

*Edited ... though Houston and Buffalo did it in the AFL
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

Brian wolf wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:14 pm I don't agree about the 73 Dolphins ... the expectations of defending a world championship is difficult for any team, especially since it was only done thrice since the end of the 1959 season when Baltimore and Green Bay did it--excluding the AFL*-- The Dolphins hammered the Bengals, Raiders and Vikings.
Who exactly did MIA REALLY beat in 73? The Bengals? OAK who barely held off DEN in their own division? A rare PIT team that didn't win the Central division? A BUF team that couldn't throw?
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

CSKreager wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:58 pm
Brian wolf wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:14 pm I don't agree about the 73 Dolphins ... the expectations of defending a world championship is difficult for any team, especially since it was only done thrice since the end of the 1959 season when Baltimore and Green Bay did it--excluding the AFL*-- The Dolphins hammered the Bengals, Raiders and Vikings.
Who exactly did MIA REALLY beat in 73? The Bengals? OAK who barely held off DEN in their own division? A rare PIT team that didn't win the Central division? A BUF team that couldn't throw?
Well, they did stomp the shit out of the 14-2 Vikings in the Super Bowl. So there's that.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

rhickok1109 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:11 pm What if Johnny Unitas had played until he was 75 without losing any of his skills?

I imagine his throwing hand would look like this.

hand.jpg
hand.jpg (85.98 KiB) Viewed 270 times
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

So we penalize the 73 Dolphins because they didn't have to face the Steelers, Rams or Cowboys? The Cowboys lost Calvin Hill in the playoffs, the Steelers allowed the Raiders to run all over them and the Bengals were bombing defenses with Anderson to Curtis, not to mention a good running game. The Dolphins whipped everyone standing and frustrated the Vikings so badly, they were done by halftime ...

Not trying to argue, your point is good, but the Raiders and Bengals are underestimated. The Raiders started slowly with Lamonica but Stabler got them the division and easily threw on the Steelers in the divisional playoff. The Bengals would have been much better against Miami had they not lost Essex Johnson, early in that playoff game. They also shut out the Vikings during the season.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

CSKreager wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:19 pm 73 Dolphins

I think we overrate the strength of the AFC as outside of the 70 Colts/77 Broncos the AFC for the rest of the decade was basically a 3 team league
If I'm a head coach, I'd much rather face Bob Avellini and Bob Lee as opposed to Ken Anderson and Ken Stabler.