Two receiver seasons with a parallel; 70 years apart

SeahawkFever

Two receiver seasons with a parallel; 70 years apart

Post by SeahawkFever »

There are two receiver seasons that I have been noticing a parallel about lately:

Cooper Kupp in 2021, and Elroy "Crazylegs" Hirsch in 1951.

Both players played for the Rams in Los Angeles.

Both players were named a pro bowl and first team all pro in their season.

Both players led the league in receiving yards, receptions, and receiving touchdowns in the same season. Kupp also led in first downs, and I wouldn't be stunned if Hirsch did as well, but we'll never know.

The Rams won a title in both seasons.

How about that for a parallel?
ChrisBabcock

Re: Two receiver seasons with a parallel; 70 years apart

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Also the season in question for each player is a HUGE outlier in comparison to the rest of their careers. Their second best season isn't even close. Of course Kupp could have a lot of career yet to be played so that could change.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

I'm partial to Crazylegs for playing w/o a beard or a face mask. :D
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Hirsch's season was better, because he also led the league in yards per catch, more than 2 yards ahead of second place. Kupp ranked 33rd in that category. Of course there were a lot more teams, but he was almost 5 yards behind the leader. So Hirsch wins.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

SeahawkFever wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:47 am There are two receiver seasons that I have been noticing a parallel about lately:

Cooper Kupp in 2021, and Elroy "Crazylegs" Hirsch in 1951.

Both players played for the Rams in Los Angeles.

Both players were named a pro bowl and first team all pro in their season.

Both players led the league in receiving yards, receptions, and receiving touchdowns in the same season. Kupp also led in first downs, and I wouldn't be stunned if Hirsch did as well, but we'll never know.

The Rams won a title in both seasons.

How about that for a parallel?
AND each title was won on their home-field! And against a franchise from Ohio that Paul Brown had MUCH to do with!

1951 & 2021 Rams the only two Los Angeles Rams World Champion teams. Both with plenty of similarities, clearly warranting a "who's better for their time" debate between both respective 8-4, 12-5 regular season finishers.
SeahawkFever

Post by SeahawkFever »

Bob Gill wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:09 am Hirsch's season was better, because he also led the league in yards per catch, more than 2 yards ahead of second place. Kupp ranked 33rd in that category. Of course there were a lot more teams, but he was almost 5 yards behind the leader. So Hirsch wins.
Hirsch did indeed lead the league in yards per reception, certainly something going for him, and that's certainly a part of the argument for Hirsch's season being better.

However if you want to factor postseasons in, Kupp's postseason was better. He played more games per the format of the era, but he also had better playoff receiving stats (478 yards, six touchdowns, and 33 receptions on 42 targets). Tom Fears had more yardage than Hirsch in the 1951 championship game. Not saying Hirsch's championship game performance was bad or anything like that, but if you said Kupp was better, it would probably be because you factored in the playoff performances.