What's the biggest football moment you witnessed in person?

Citizen

What's the biggest football moment you witnessed in person?

Post by Citizen »

For me, Brett Favre breaking the career touchdown-pass record.

Runner-up: Jerry Rice's first NFL game, not that I had any idea who he was at the time.
JuggernautJ

Re: What's the biggest football moment you witnessed in person?

Post by JuggernautJ »

The only game of "historical significance" that I've been at was the Monday night Jerry Rice scored three TDs vs the Raiders to break the over-all touchdown record.
I'll remember that night till the day I die and a big thanks to Gene Anderson for letting me have his dad's season ticket seat to see it!

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 050sfo.htm
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

The Greatest Comeback in NFL History
Saturday, December 17, 2022
US Bank Stadium
Minneapolis, Minnesota

Down 33-0 at halftime, Kirk Cousins leads the Minnesota Vikings to a 39-36 victory over the Indianapolis Colts in overtime.

Biggest surprise (even bigger than the comeback) was the fact that very few of the 66,801 fans in attendance left the building at halftime. Yes, they left their seats and entered the concourse for concessions and restrooms, but by the middle of the third quarter the place was rockin' and rollin'.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I saw Aaron Glenn return a missed FG for a 104-yard TD. I think its still the record (?).
Crazy Packers Fan

Post by Crazy Packers Fan »

Sadly, I haven't been to enough NFL games to have ever seen anything of significance. The most meaningful football result I ever saw was the 2017 Rose Bowl which finished 52-49. But as for the NFL, practically the only thing of note was either the Packers keeping the Browns winless (in 2017) or Clay Matthews' sack in Washington (in 2018) that led to the NFL lessening up their "body weight" penalty. I know, I'm grasping at straws here.
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

I saw Matt Hasselbeck throw a TD off a fake FG during a Packers/Vikings MNF game in 1999
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

I haven't been to very many myself, but in retrospect a couple stand out:

* Oct. 24, 1971---Saw ChucK Hughes die on the field at Tiger Stadium. My girlfriend (future wife) and I got free tix from my brother, who had just won them in an all-nite poker game. I remember what a wet, dreary day it was (appropriate setting for the tragedy) and since we were seated in the Bears' fans section, we saw a few fistfights break out as the game (and drinking) wore on.

* Aug. 25, 1973---Saw Dan Fouts's pro debut (ex. between Chargers and Eagles). My buddy and I were stationed at Camp Pendleton then, so we figured we'd go down to San Diego on a Saturday nite to see Johnny U and Roman Gabriel in their new uniforms. Turned out Unitas had a bad back and couldn't play, so they started the immortal Wayne Clark at QB. Fouts, who was recovering from a broken collarbone, came on in the 4Q and led SD to their first preseason win. I'm still pissed I didn't get to see Unitas play.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

1993 Thanksgiving Leon Lett --- happened right in front of me. Keith Byars almost made me roadkill ---
2024-05-03_19-37-04.jpg
2024-05-03_19-37-04.jpg (39.99 KiB) Viewed 309 times
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

I've only gotten to go to a few NFL games in person.

Of those, the most historical was a Broncos/Packers tie game in Milwaukee in 1987. Players strike started the next day - after the Monday night game. For some reason, I remember Don Majkowski wore #5 (Paul Hornung's number) in that game. He was usually #7, but he wore 5 that day. Was kind of neat to see. I don't know if he or the team was honoring Hornung that day, but he wore #5.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

I saw OJ go over 1,000 yards at the halfway point of the 1973 season, which meant halfway to his total of 2,000 yards that year. It was the first Monday Night game ever at Rich Stadium in Orchard Park.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."