Packers Saints rivalry

rhickok1109

Re: Packers Saints rivalry

Post by rhickok1109 »

Jay Z wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:54 pm
Citizen wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:59 am The most memorable game in what has been a pretty drab rivalry was probably in week 2/1989, when Green Bay overcame a 21-0 deficit to win, 35-34. Don Majkowski completed 18 straight passes at one point, and during the winning drive, Jeff Query converted on 4th-and-17 with a tiptoe catch at the sideline that was called complete only when Ben Dreith overruled the side judge.
That was a good one for sure, and other than the two I mentioned, the 1975 Rich Szaro game and the 2012 Rodgers/Brees shootout, the only other one point game between the Packers and Saints - until today.

Majkowski's 21 point comeback remains the best by a Packers' quarterback against the Saints. Jordan Love's 17 point effort today does put him in the top 10 of Packer quarterbacks. Exceeding Majkowski are Lynn Dickey's 23 point comeback in the 1982 open against the Rams, and Matt Flynn's similar 23 point effort subbing for Rodgers against the Cowboys in 2013. Rodgers does have three top 10 comebacks himself, including the Hail Mary game to Richard Rodgers in 2015. The top 10 is rounded out by Bart Starr against the Lions in 1965, Scott Hunter against the Lions again in 1972, and Cecil Isbell against the Redskins in 1941.

Brett Favre managed a 14 point comeback relieving Majkowski against the Bengals in 1992. Though he matched this comeback several times (including his last win as a Packer in the 2007 playoffs) he never exceeded it, and is out of this particular top 10 list.
The win yesterday was only the second time the Packers have come back from a 17-point deficit in the 4th quarter. The first came just 5 years ago, when the Packers were trailing the Bears 20-3 entering the 4th quarter. Rodgers threw 3 TD passes to pull out a 24-23 win.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Brian wolf wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:40 pm What is the NFL record for consecutive completions?
According to Google:
The current record of 25 consecutive completions is owned by four different quarterbacks: Ryan Tannehill, who did it over two games in 2015, Marcus Mariota, who did it over two games in 2018, Philip Rivers, who did it in one game in 2018, and Nick Foles, who did it in one game in 2018.
(Dec 23, 2022)
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I believe that the Saints are also the only NFC team that the Cowboys have not faced in the playoffs.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thanks JJ ... thought it was 22 completions, not 25 ...
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

Speaking of Packer and Saint quarterbacks, it is also worth noting the the Packers had a verbal agreement to trade for Archie Manning in 1974.

Bill Tobin went to Atlanta to finalize the agreement following the Saints game with the Falcons on week six. Manning had lost the starting job to Bobby Scott after a bad game in week five against the Broncos. During the week, Green Bay and New Orleans agreed to a trade of Manning for two first- and two second-round picks. In the Saints-Falcons games, Scott went down with a knee injury and back rookie Larry Cipa replaced him, going 1 for 7. With Scott out for a month and Cipa’s performance against the Falcons, the Saints backed out of the deal.

The next night, the Packers offense struggled against the Bears on Monday Night Football. Packers quarterback Jerry Tagge was unable to lead the offense to a touchdown in the second half, despite getting the ball three times within the Bears’ 40-yard line in the 10-9 loss.

The next day, Dan Devine traded two first-, two second- and a third-round pick to the Rams for John Hadl, who had lost the starting job in Los Angeles after a poor showing in a loss to the Packers two weeks earlier.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Correct me, but I believe that in the 70s-80s every time that the Saints traveled to Wisconsin to play the Packers the game was held in Milwaukee. I recall two or three games (including the one when Tony Galbreath and Wes Chandler handled the kicking and punting duties).
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Gary Najman wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:06 pm Correct me, but I believe that in the 70s-80s every time that the Saints traveled to Wisconsin to play the Packers the game was held in Milwaukee. I recall two or three games (including the one when Tony Galbreath and Wes Chandler handled the kicking and punting duties).
Correct. The Saints didn't play the Packers in Green Bay until 1989.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

1983 - no, both teams didn't play against each other, but both were still in the playoff race going into Week #16. The 8-7 Saints, who already had a better conference record over GB at 7-4 to 6-5, needed to beat the also 8-7 Rams at home to clinch the final WC spot thus a date at Dallas the following week. The 8-7 Packers, meanwhile, had to win in Chicago along with the Rams beating the Saints to at least get that WC spot instead. The reason why is because GB beat the Rams H2H in Milwaukee early on. Both Rams@NO & GB@Chi games were on at the same time at 1PM EST on that final Sunday!

However, if the Saints win, the Pack could still get in as a division winner. What would have to then happen is 8-7 Detroit losing at home to Tampa Bay (exactly as they did two years earlier) in the late game! However, both NO & GB lose and - with SF beating Dallas on MNF - the Rams get in as a wild card. And the Lions win anyway thus not getting in at 500.

Had the Packers won but Dallas, whose playoff-positioning was already set, beats San Fran anyway, that would have given the Rams the division instead! GB & SF would have each been at 9-7 also with the same 7-5 conference record in such an event. But the Pack would have gotten the nod. Does anyone know why?

Who's better between the Saints & Packers, '83, not a bad idea for a thread. Would NO's defense despite their offense have been able to take advantage of a falling Dallas team as the Rams were able to do? Would Green Bay's offense have been able to do the same despite their defense?

Fast-forward to 2010! If anyone could have prevented Green Bay from reaching the Super Bowl, it may have been the defending-Champ, Saints! Had they simply averted that 1st Rd upset at 7-9 Seattle, the Saints would have been off to Chicago the following week. I think, most likely, they win it. And then it's they hosting the Packers in the NFC Championship Game! Yes, the actual GB@Chi event ended up being close on the scoreboard - and, yes, it was intriguing to see both meet in the playoffs for the first time since that '41 tiebreaker between two 10-1 teams - but I think GB@Saints instead would have been a more competitive and exciting game than what we actually got both on AND off the scoreboard! A Rodgers/Brees Classic, I think, it would have been!

Those, basically, simultaneous Aaron & Drew Eras...numerous extra Super Bowls left on the table by each. A shame. A "who's better" thread between both QBs an even-better idea (I'm pretty sure there hasn't been one here yet; or at least I don't think that I ever started one)! Like Landry & Shula, I have them tied!
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Who's better between the Saints & Packers, '83, not a bad idea for a thread. Would NO's defense despite their offense have been able to take advantage of a falling Dallas team as the Rams were able to do? Would Green Bay's offense have been able to do the same despite their defense?
NO almost won in Dallas earlier that year (until they sacked Stabler for a safety to pull it out). So, I think that NO wins this one, but they get the crap beat out of them the next week at RFK.

I don't think that Stabler was good enough at that point to take them that far. He should have retired after the 1980 season. Also, Dave Wilson was a bad supplemental pick, and the Richard Todd trade was stupid. Bum would have been better off riding with Archie Manning when he took the job in 1981.