Who is your pick for 3rd-best Dallas Cowboys QB ever?

74_75_78_79_

Re: Who is your pick for 3rd-best Dallas Cowboys QB ever?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Pelluer, I guess, would have to be the most struggle-some of Big D QBs. That sad final Landry '88 season comes to mind when I think of him. Dallas at Pittsburgh opening day (sheer opposite of '78), Cowboys could have won it had Steve saw rookie Michael Irvin all alone in the end zone end of the game. I also think of the 20-0 lead that they blew against Buddy's Birds in Randall's "coming out" season.

Dallas sure could have used Steve Beuerlein to fill in for Troy at the end of the '90 season! But they had Lauf. Getting pummeled at Philly penultimate game? Understandable. But laying that egg vs a bad Falcons team in the finale (Glanville's first year with them)? Yes, that didn't help. Not necessarily Beuerlein, but someone somewhere between he and the Babe may have given Dallas that 8-8 playoff berth (1st-Rd date at Soldier) instead.

Quincy Carter the..."worst"? No. He's off that schneid with me thanks, of course, to 2003! 3,000 yards passing, 10-6 playoff berth...yeah, he's off.

Anthony Wright? Yes, he was no longer a Cowboy by then, but how about that forgotten 'classic', also in 2003? He leading Billick's Ravens to a 44-41 victory in a super-QB-duel between he and Hasselbeck (also eventually leading Baltimore to the playoffs as well)! 300+ passing yards each with 9 TDs/0 INTs between the two of them!

I think it's a 3-level debate...

Top Level (for 1st) - Staubach or Aikman?

2nd Level (for 3rd) - Meredith or White?

3rd Level (for 5th) - Romo or Prescott?

An added question...does ANYONE place Aikman over Staubach?? Apples and oranges, to me. Different styles. Most seem to place #12 over #8, but Troy's accuracy, mistake-free play, and ice-in-veins leadership...I'm not saying he should be #1, but I'd think there'd be a little more votes for him overall. Or, at least, many saying that they're undecided. Yes, Troy had that colossal O-line along with a blocker like Moose. But, what? Rog had a lousy line himself? #44 Newhouse a bad blocker?
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Aikman won more championships, was a regular player for longer (12 seasons to 8.) Aikman actually raised his quarterback rating in the playoffs which is understandably pretty rare. I think Staubach is though of as some playoff god because of the Hail Mary, but he really wasn't that great. 11-6 record is good. But plenty of stinko games like 72 championship, 73 championship, 76 vs Rams, 79 vs Rams.

I think I'd have to go with Aikman.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Pelluer, I guess, would have to be the most struggle-some of Big D QBs. That sad final Landry '88 season comes to mind when I think of him. Dallas at Pittsburgh opening day (sheer opposite of '78), Cowboys could have won it had Steve saw rookie Michael Irvin all alone in the end zone end of the game. I also think of the 20-0 lead that they blew against Buddy's Birds in Randall's "coming out" season.

Quincy Carter the..."worst"? No. He's off that schneid with me thanks, of course, to 2003! 3,000 yards passing, 10-6 playoff berth...yeah, he's off.
Not really seeing any logic here. Pelluer, for all of his faults, at least put up average passing numbers despite having no protection. Rate+ years of 91, 102 & 99. One of the reasons Dallas struggled is because they had one of the worst defenses in the league.

Quincy Carter was always a bad passer. Rate+ years of 77, 90 & 88. 3000 yards in 2003 with 505 pass attempts? Is that supposed to be impressive? 15 other QBs threw for 3000 yards that season. But only Carter had 21 INTs and 10 fumbles. 10-6 playoff berth...with one of the best defenses in the league. Carter was so impressive in 2003 that he was released by the Cowboys, spent 1 year as a back up in New York, then was out of the NFL.