2015 NFL Playoffs

BD Sullivan

Re: 2015 NFL Playoffs

Post by BD Sullivan »

Bryan wrote:
JWL wrote:Mike Tomlin is off the hook because his team won on Saturday and previously won a Super Bowl and he coaches a league darling. But if Lewis is going to be ripped for losing control of his team, Tomlin should too. Why was that clown Joey Porter (one of the all-time pieces of garbage the league has ever seen) on the field to begin with? There is no reason for Porter to have been on the field. Maybe I am a moron, though. Maybe it is normal for a linebacker coach to come onto the field when the punter gets injured or the offensive line coach to come onto the field when a cornerback gets injured or...
I think people are grasping at straws with that 'narrative'. Again, I'm not understanding how Burfict's game-long (career long?) dirty play can somehow be cast in the same light as Joey Porter being on the field, with the further implication that Tomlin "lost control" of his team because Joey Porter wandered onto the field when Antonio Brown was injured. What if Tomlin specifically told Porter "OK...go onto the field...taunt the Bengals until you can get one of them to throw a punch at you"...wouldn't that be seen more as sneaky and underhanded (and perhaps, genius) than actual "dirty play"? Jeremy Hill ran onto the field from the sidelines and actually started a fight...with no penalty or ejection! Perhaps if he had been ejected, then the Bengals would have won?
Porter is a big-mouth scumbag and Tomlin did "accidentally" wander near the field during that Thanksgiving game against the Ravens, but I don't see where he "cries" anymore than other coaches.
mwald

Post by mwald »

BD Sullivan wrote:
Bryan wrote:
JWL wrote:Mike Tomlin is off the hook because his team won on Saturday and previously won a Super Bowl and he coaches a league darling. But if Lewis is going to be ripped for losing control of his team, Tomlin should too. Why was that clown Joey Porter (one of the all-time pieces of garbage the league has ever seen) on the field to begin with? There is no reason for Porter to have been on the field. Maybe I am a moron, though. Maybe it is normal for a linebacker coach to come onto the field when the punter gets injured or the offensive line coach to come onto the field when a cornerback gets injured or...
I think people are grasping at straws with that 'narrative'. Again, I'm not understanding how Burfict's game-long (career long?) dirty play can somehow be cast in the same light as Joey Porter being on the field, with the further implication that Tomlin "lost control" of his team because Joey Porter wandered onto the field when Antonio Brown was injured. What if Tomlin specifically told Porter "OK...go onto the field...taunt the Bengals until you can get one of them to throw a punch at you"...wouldn't that be seen more as sneaky and underhanded (and perhaps, genius) than actual "dirty play"? Jeremy Hill ran onto the field from the sidelines and actually started a fight...with no penalty or ejection! Perhaps if he had been ejected, then the Bengals would have won?
Porter is a big-mouth scumbag and Tomlin did "accidentally" wander near the field during that Thanksgiving game against the Ravens, but I don't see where he "cries" anymore than other coaches.
I don't see Tomlin crying about the officiating so much, but he is a spinmaster extraordinaire - usually to cover up his underperforming team.

Blessed with a top five QB and one of the most stable, supportive ownerships in the league, Tomlin was handed the keys to a Ferrari and turned it into a Dodge Charger. Nothing to sneeze at, but too many of his teams have played below their horsepower.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Bryan wrote:
There have been dirty players on many teams through the years. I can't recall a time an assistant coach was milling around on the field closer to the opponent's bench than his own bench.

I recorded the game. I will watch the Hill thing again. I think I recall what happened but I want to see it again before commenting one way or the other.

My issue here is the way the teams were portrayed during the telecast. The Bengals are the devil and the Steelers are a cherub. Jim Nantz- wow.
Last edited by JWL on Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Rupert Patrick wrote: I think we can finally make it official, the Seahawks defense of this era is one of the best of all time, right up there with the Vikings and Steelers and Da Bears. For one thing, Seattle from 2012-2015 has led the NFL in fewest points allowed for the fourth straight season, which I believe is an NFL record; Minnesota led in fewest points allowed from 1969-71 which I think was the previous record.
Yes, the Seattle defense is among the best of all-time. It will be tough to truly rank them until the current corps is gone.

So far for this postseason? With the season on the line, the Seattle defense had no problem letting the mediocre Minnesota offense go right down the field for what should have been a season-ending field goal.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JWL wrote:My issue here is the way the teams were portrayed during the telecast. The Bengals are the devil and the Steelers are a cherub. Jim Nantz- wow.
I get it. I also enjoyed Mike Carey's insight of the game that every call/non-call made by Rick Parry's crew was the correct one, and the officials had everything under control.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

JWL wrote:Jim Nantz- wow.
Of all the things that could be talked about in that game, what annoyed me was Nantz. His announcing and the narrative he was trying to spin was an embarrassment. How many times did he try to turn Burfict's sack of Roethlisberger into a dirty or illegal hit?!?! Ridiculous.

Still hilarious that Shawn Williams puts his shoulder into Wheaton's chest and shoulder and instant flag for "playing defense" that gifts the Steelers a 6-0 lead.

Shazier spears Bernard and KO's him and not only not a penalty but the Steelers get the fumble recovery (if the refs hadn't blown the call it would have been a TD.)

Burfict puts his shoulder into Brown's head and instant flag and people go crazy "Burfict should be thrown out of the league"*

Joey Porter is on the field talking trash and that's apparently fine with everyone. (Even after another Steelers coach was pulling hair earlier in the game) ...

Adam Jones runs up to him and officials hand the Steelers a gift win.

Yup, makes sense and definitely a case of ONE team not being disciplined and of course the officials had a handle on everything.

* - Burfict was a clown in college. For how people view him in the NFL, he's actually toned down from what he was at ASU.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I think we can finally make it official, the Seahawks defense of this era is one of the best of all time, right up there with the Vikings and Steelers and Da Bears. For one thing, Seattle from 2012-2015 has led the NFL in fewest points allowed for the fourth straight season, which I believe is an NFL record; Minnesota led in fewest points allowed from 1969-71 which I think was the previous record.
Browns 1953-1957
mwald

Post by mwald »

Well, once upon a time announcers were announcers. They called the action and then shut up. Today they feel the need to insert themselves into the game with their dreaded "storyline." You see, we need to be told the angle on things or else we won't be interested.

Keith Jackson, Tom Mees, where have you gone?
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

mwald wrote:Well, once upon a time announcers were announcers. They called the action and then shut up. Today they feel the need to insert themselves into the game with their dreaded "storyline." You see, we need to be told the angle on things or else we won't be interested.

Exactly. The problem is that it actually works. What they spin becomes the national narrative. The people that watched the game and apply common sense are drowned out by the set narrative or as you phrased it, storyline.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Reaser wrote:
mwald wrote:Well, once upon a time announcers were announcers. They called the action and then shut up. Today they feel the need to insert themselves into the game with their dreaded "storyline." You see, we need to be told the angle on things or else we won't be interested.

Exactly. The problem is that it actually works. What they spin becomes the national narrative. The people that watched the game and apply common sense are drowned out by the set narrative or as you phrased it, storyline.
It all started with Cosell and his need to establish a so-called "story line," which he insisted on following even if the game and the players didn't.