Tom Bennett: The Pro Style (1976 book)

Bryan

Tom Bennett: The Pro Style (1976 book)

Post by Bryan »

This is one of my favorite books of all-time...its a great piece of writing detailing the evolution of NFL strategy from the dawn of the league through the mid-70's. There are numerous used copies available through Amazon for only the nominal cost of a $3.99 shipping fee. If you are looking for some bathroom reading material, I would highly recommend it.
Reaser

Re: Tom Bennett: The Pro Style (1976 book)

Post by Reaser »

Excellent recommendation. I picked it up a handful of years ago for a couple dollars, book was in perfect condition.

Great pictures, diagrams, and of course explanations. I like the cover photo, too.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

I couldn't agree more.

In fact, this is the book that opened my eyes to Football History.
I couldn't recommend a book more highly.

My copy was worn to pieces (literally) but I was overjoyed to find a (virtually un-) used copy in Nashville when visiting my mom last month.
Cost: $2.99!!

Best buy ever on one of the best football books ever.

(I found the History of formations and zone defenses to be quite interesting but there is much for the novice to intermediate student of the game in this book.
The diagrams and pictures are first rate!)
King Kong

Post by King Kong »

This particular book and The Pro Football Chronicle are my two favorite football books.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

I used this book quite a bit as I was writing my Pop Warner book. Very helpful with descriptions of long lost offensive formations.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

King Kong wrote:This particular book and The Pro Football Chronicle are my two favorite football books.
I finally got a used copy of The Pro Football Chronicle off of Amazon-- I had thumbed through it in a library many years ago, but couldn't remember the title. Great stuff about the highlights and the oddities of each decade from the 1920s through the 1980s.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Mark L. Ford wrote:
King Kong wrote:This particular book and The Pro Football Chronicle are my two favorite football books.
I finally got a used copy of The Pro Football Chronicle off of Amazon-- I had thumbed through it in a library many years ago, but couldn't remember the title. Great stuff about the highlights and the oddities of each decade from the 1920s through the 1980s.
That's my favorite book. I've referenced it often. I periodically went through the decades to look at Famous Lasts, and Records that have never been Equaled.
Last time I went through it was to write off Johnny U's 56 game streak.