Book about 1987 strike season and players

fgoodwin

Book about 1987 strike season and players

Post by fgoodwin »

Are there any books about the 1987 strike season, and in particular, lists of replacement players by team?
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Re: Book about 1987 strike season and players

Post by Mark L. Ford »

fgoodwin wrote:Are there any books about the 1987 strike season, and in particular, lists of replacement players by team?
I know that there is an author who recently completed one and it's awaiting publication, because he had mentioned that in the course of another conversation. I'll try to find out more details, but I won't be surprised if it comes out this fall.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

With some effort, I think you could probably glean a list of replacement players from the 1987 team rosters in the Neft-Cohen encyclopedia.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

There is. On the Neft book's list of players for the 1987 season, the ones that have "#" next to their name are the ones that were on the active roster during the replacement games only. It was a big help to me in sorting that out years ago.
fgoodwin

Post by fgoodwin »

Thanx guys -- that book looks very interesting! And I'll have to dust off my copy of Neft!
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

This will help for most of it.
I have the entire list of players through and including 2013 - reformatted so you can read it: I.E. last, first, team, year - unlike the format otherwise available.
If you want a copy, ask. Remember to ask nicely.
In the meantime, you can see if this helps.
===
It is a LINK to LINKS of teams' lists of players.
You will note there are a number of different formats: I.E. most list AFL players, the Jets do not; some list coaches; some list venues; some limit the list to a minimum of five games; some include replacement players; etc.
Enjoy... if you have not already done so...
http://en.wikipedia....all_League_team
===
* This, by the way, was a thread created just about a year ago.
(Started by oldecapecod 11, May 24 2014 10:30 AM)
Unfortunately, the cabal opted to trash it.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
coachtj

Post by coachtj »

.....an aspect for the strike players is where did they come from, how many stayed or were able to find employment on another team. worked with a teacher's assistant who was an outstanding wide receiver at csu, fullerton; drafted by falcons in '86 and traded to the buddy ryan eagles. stories from corn redick about time on the practice field with the eagles to his game on 10-18-87 and his 1 nfl catch for 18 yards as a packer(against the eagles), and then to browns camp in '88 under marty & bernie and then onto canada. you could fill a book with just the stories similar to corn's.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Sample:

The two columns at the bottom show the data as retrieved from the PFReference site last year and how it appears when entered into a database.
The two columns at the top show the reformatted version and how it will appear in a database.
This was included in the thread of last year that was so readily trashed.
A shame! so much data by so many people and so little regard shown for their efforts.
By the way, I must amend an earlier statement praising the assumed efforts to correct the matters that have plagued this site since it was so foolishly given away.
It took SIX attempts to get these simple charts posted.
Oh well... only nine months to go...
Attachments
List RIGHT.jpg
List RIGHT.jpg (144.21 KiB) Viewed 16180 times
List LEFT.jpg
List LEFT.jpg (141.3 KiB) Viewed 16180 times
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

oldecapecod 11 wrote:Sample:

The two columns at the bottom show the data as retrieved from the PFReference site last year and how it appears when entered into a database.
The two columns at the top show the reformatted version and how it will appear in a database.
This was included in the thread of last year that was so readily trashed.
A shame! so much data by so many people and so little regard shown for their efforts.
By the way, I must amend an earlier statement praising the assumed efforts to correct the matters that have plagued this site since it was so foolishly given away.
It took SIX attempts to get these simple charts posted.
Oh well... only nine months to go...
That's cool.

I always find it funny that there was such vitriol at the time and the a Sean Payton became a future head coach in the league. Short memories.