Skip Thomas......

DukeSlater

Skip Thomas......

Post by DukeSlater »

.....Ray Didinger stated he thought Thomas was overrated as a corner with the Raiders.

To me, if anything, he was underrated with Oakland. He would knock the ball down, instead of making the interceptions, and he would have waffle hands, at times. But, I think he was a very physically imposing cornerback that was overshadowed by Atkinson, Brown and Tatum in the Soul Patrol.

Rashad claimed Thomas and Brown were the two most physical corners he ever faced on one team.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!
7DnBrnc53

Re: Skip Thomas......

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Versatile John wrote:.....Ray Didinger stated he thought Thomas was overrated as a corner with the Raiders.

To me, if anything, he was underrated with Oakland. He would knock the ball down, instead of making the interceptions, and he would have waffle hands, at times. But, I think he was a very physically imposing cornerback that was overshadowed by Atkinson, Brown and Tatum in the Soul Patrol.

Rashad claimed Thomas and Brown were the two most physical corners he ever faced on one team.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!
Skip Thomas: The Brandon Browner of the 1970's.
DukeSlater

Post by DukeSlater »

Do you think he benefitted from the years prior to the Mel Blount Rule? I kind of think he did. He was gone the year they implemented the aforementioned rule, if I am not mistaken. Coincidental?

Brandon Browner was just like that at Oregon State; he would make great plays, but he was a human penalty flag. He and Aric Williams were an excellent pair of collegiate corners, though.
Last edited by DukeSlater on Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Versatile John wrote:Do you think he benefitted from the years prior to the Mel Blount Rule? I kind of think he did. He was gone the year they implemented the aforementioned rule, if I am not mistaken. Coincidental?

Brandon Browner was just like that at Otegon State; he would make great plays, but he was a human penalty flag. He and Williams were an excellent pair of collegiate corners, though.
On an interview that NFL Films did with him for Lost Treasures, Skip said that he ended up in Buffalo, but he said that they had to wear ties and jackets to road trips, and it sounds like he retired because he wasn't into that.
DukeSlater

Post by DukeSlater »

I have a few game tapes of Thomas, and he, as we know, was very physical in coverage. Obviously, he could not be a damn good corner in today's NFL.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Versatile John wrote:He and Williams were an excellent pair of collegiate corners, though.
I remember seeing Williams in Arena Football in the mid-00's. That entire secondary was good, especially once Piscitelli joined them. Meeuwsen was the real playmaker of that group though, he played in NFLE with the Rhein Fire.
DukeSlater

Post by DukeSlater »

That 2004 Oregon State team played USC really tough in Corvallis. (That place has been like the Devil's Triangle down through the years for USC.)
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Versatile John wrote:That 2004 Oregon State team played USC really tough in Corvallis. (That place has been like the Devil's Triangle down through the years for USC.)
2000 was the start of destroying USC's season, which led to a dynasty.

Reser Stadium is great. I've thrown and ran for TD's on that field (camp, 4 years 1998-2001)
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

Versatile John wrote:.....Ray Didinger stated...
I guess I am supposed to know who Ray Didinger is.
John Maxymuk

Post by John Maxymuk »

TodMaher wrote:
Versatile John wrote:.....Ray Didinger stated...
I guess I am supposed to know who Ray Didinger is.
Didinger is a Philly writer from the 1960s to 1980s who then went to work for NFL films. He frequently is seen on nfl films shows as a talking head. He is a member of the writers wing of the hof.