Bolin and Byers

Saban1

Bolin and Byers

Post by Saban1 »

Bookie Bolin and Ken Byers were rookie guards for the New York Giants in 1962. Watching some films, I noticed that Byers did most of the playing at right guard for the Giants for the first few games in 1963. After 3,4, or 5 games. Bookie Bolin did most of the playing at right guard for the Giants that year. Byers played in 14 games in 1963 and Bolin played in 13.

My question is, why didn't Byers keep his starting right guard job after the first few games? Anyone know? I watched Byers on film and he seemed to make all the blocks he was supposed to make and did seem like a good player at right guard.

Ken Byers did play right guard in most of the 1963 championship game against the Chicago Bears in the second half after Bookie Bolin was injured. Byers was traded to the Minnesota in 1964 after playing in 8 games for the Giants.
BD Sullivan

Re: Bolin and Byers

Post by BD Sullivan »

In the 1963 training camp, Byers had been shifted from DE to guard. However, one year later, they were trying him back at DE. Technically, the Giants released him to bring back Mickey Walker and the Vikes picked Byers up.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

Thanks BD. I continue to learn things here, and that is definitely a good thing.

Apparently, Allie Sherman wasn't confident that Byers could do the job at DE in 1964 because he asked Andy Robustelli to come back for another year after his "retirement." I still wonder why Byers was the starter at the beginning of 1963 and Bolin took over at right guard after 4 or 5 games.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Bolin had sprained his ankle in late August, which changed the Giants' thinking on the "player to be named" later they were going to send to the Vikings. Originally, it was going to be Byers, but because they needed him, Hugh McElhenny was sent instead.

Sherman no doubt had to shake things up after five games in '63, when they were 3-2 and had just lost to the Browns, who were now two games ahead of them at the time. It must have worked since they went 8-1 the rest of the way. The only loss in that stretch was the 11/24 game, when they (and likely every other team) came out flat because of what had happened two days earlier.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

Yes, maybe the fact that the Giants were off to a slow start in 1963 was part of the reason for the changing of the guard (right guard). I don't know of any other changes that year other than Morrison for Alex Webster who had been injured.

Maybe Byers had messed up somewhere in the first 4 or 5 games, but he looked good in what I saw.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

The sprained ankle in August implies that Bolin should have been the starter in 1963, but Byers started instead in the beginning of the season due to Bolin not being 100 per cent. Probably correct.

Bolin was the 5th round draft choice in 1962 and Byers was the 7th, if that had anything to do with anything. Apparently, Bolin was considered above Byers in the Giants plans.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Saban wrote:Yes, maybe the fact that the Giants were off to a slow start in 1963 was part of the reason for the changing of the guard (right guard). I don't know of any other changes that year other than Morrison for Alex Webster who had been injured.

Maybe Byers had messed up somewhere in the first 4 or 5 games, but he looked good in what I saw.
Tittle got knocked out of the opener after scoring the go-ahead TD, and he wasn't able to play the following week in Pittsburgh. With Guglielmi behind center with absolutely no mobility, the Steelers teed off on him and won 31-0.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

BD Sullivan wrote:
Saban wrote:Yes, maybe the fact that the Giants were off to a slow start in 1963 was part of the reason for the changing of the guard (right guard). I don't know of any other changes that year other than Morrison for Alex Webster who had been injured.

Tittle got knocked out of the opener after scoring the go-ahead TD, and he wasn't able to play the following week in Pittsburgh. With Guglielmi behind center with absolutely no mobility, the Steelers teed off on him and won 31-0.

That's right, and Allie Sherman traded Gugleilmi to Philadelphia right after that, leaving the Giants without a veteran backup QB. I think that hurt the Giants in the championship game when Tittle got hurt.

A couple of other changes later in the season for the New York Giants in 1963. Dick Pesonen for Alan Webb at left safety after Webb was injured. Jerry Hillebrand for Bill Winter at left linebacker when Winter was injured. Both Pesonen and Hillebrand did well after taking the place of the starters Webb ans Winter. In fact, Hillebrand intercepted 5 passes that year.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Saban wrote:
BD Sullivan wrote:

That's right, and Allie Sherman traded Gugleilmi to Philadelphia right after that, leaving the Giants without a veteran backup QB. I think that hurt the Giants in the championship game when Tittle got hurt.
Guglielmi was supposed to be dealt to the 49ers, but refused to go because of East Coast business concerns, so the Giants put him on the reserve list. Soon after, the Eagles claimed him to back up King Hill after Jurgensen was injured. Lombardi was desperate to try and get him because of Starr's injuries, but because it was a waiver deal, Philly got first crack at him.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

So, Guglielmi was put on waivers and picked up by the Eagles rather than traded to the Eagles.

I wonder what would have happened in the 1963 championship game if Ralph Guglielmi was still on the New York Giants. Would the Giants have put Ralph in at quarterback in the second half with Tittle injured, and if so, would the Giants have won? Don't forget, Tittle threw 5 interceptions in that game including two that led to Chicago touchdowns. Would Guglielmi have done any worse? I guess that we will never know.