French language broadcast of 1982 TB at NYJ

Evan

French language broadcast of 1982 TB at NYJ

Post by Evan »

I know that the Super Bowl has long been broadcast in many languages to many countries, but when did the NFL start broadcasting regular season games in other languages?

Here is a screenshot from the Dec. 12, 1982 Tampa Bay at New York Jets game which had two announcers broadcasting in French. Were they perhaps speaking for a Canadian audience? the broadcast had CBS graphics in normal American English, with the exception of this score bumper that had the quarter and even the league in French (NFL turned to LNF). And I have no idea what those icons in the corner are!
82-TB-at-NYJ-french.jpg
82-TB-at-NYJ-french.jpg (136.85 KiB) Viewed 6882 times
ChrisBabcock

Re: French language broadcast of 1982 TB at NYJ

Post by ChrisBabcock »

That would be from a French-Canadian broadcast. That red blob is the CBC logo.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

In 2004 went to Ottawa to ran a Marathon. After the race, I watched at the hotel a NFL game (it featured the Colts) on RDS, which is the French Canadian sports network (a sister of TSN). I distinctly remember how a touchdown is called "touchee" in Quebec.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

ChrisBabcock wrote:That would be from a French-Canadian broadcast. That red blob is the CBC logo.
I used to watch a lot of hockey on CBC when I lived in Detroit. I don't know why CBC hasn't gone nationwide on US cable providers when we get like a bajillion other channels.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen