Relocation

SixtiesFan

Re: Relocation

Post by SixtiesFan »

LJP wrote:
Ronfitch wrote:
LJP wrote:All options will apparently be discussed, so anything could happen.
The Onion: "NFL To Move All 32 Teams To Los Angeles"

http://www.theonion.com/article/nfl-to- ... NA:InFocus
Ha-ha-ha. Not quite sure why the Rams want to build a stadium on a fault line, that leaks Helium-3, but greed wins!

Whilst LA has the second largest TV market, you do actually want people to attend the games and not just watch on TV, otherwise there will be a local blackout. Can the Rams fill the 93,000+ seat LA Coliseum, or even their proposed 70,000+ seater?

http://www.theonion.com/graphic/traffic ... game-52169
Attendance fell off for the Rams in the Coliseum in 1977. The previous year they could still draw 80,000 plus. Through 1979 they could only fill the reconfigured 70,000 for two 1978 playoff games. I've always believed the 1976 NFC Championship loss to the Vikings (and the 1977 Mud Bowl at the Coliseum) made Ram fans lose faith.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

I don't get why the NFL was so gung ho about going back to St. Louis in 1995 anyway, or how anybody would think that it would work long term. St. Louis has always been a borderline south/Midwest city who is a heavy baseball town and a surprisingly good hockey town. It's never been a football town. Support of the football Cards was always tepid. L.A.'s support had fallen off as well (and that market should've never had two teams anyway) but long term the Rams always had a better chance in L.A. than St. Louis.

A good Rams team in Los Angeles can become a national team. Maybe not Lakers level but still high profile. It could never happen in St. Louis
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

sheajets wrote:I don't get why the NFL was so gung ho about going back to St. Louis in 1995 anyway, or how anybody would think that it would work long term. St. Louis has always been a borderline south/Midwest city who is a heavy baseball town and a surprisingly good hockey town. It's never been a football town. Support of the football Cards was always tepid. L.A.'s support had fallen off as well (and that market should've never had two teams anyway) but long term the Rams always had a better chance in L.A. than St. Louis.

A good Rams team in Los Angeles can become a national team. Maybe not Lakers level but still high profile. It could never happen in St. Louis
While Georgia Frontiere was hardly an improvement, the NFL probably figured that Bidwill and his unrelenting incompetence was the main reason for turning off the fan base--especially given the fact that the Cardinals barely showed any improvement until his son took over.
mwald

Post by mwald »

Latest has Rams playing in the Coliseum this year. Sometimes dreams come true, Jiminy Cricket.

Different note: word has Kroenke financing the new LA stadium himself. That's a man. I feel sorry for Joe Six Pack in St. Louis, but no one else. Rams moving there 20 years ago was a travesty. This just reverses it.

I'm a Rams fan, so take these comments with a block of salt.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

mwald wrote:Latest has Rams playing in the Coliseum this year. Sometimes dreams come true, Jiminy Cricket.

Different note: word has Kroenke financing the new LA stadium himself. That's a man. I feel sorry for Joe Six Pack in St. Louis, but no one else. Rams moving there 20 years ago was a travesty. This just reverses it.

Agreed.
As a 'Niners Fan it will be nice to have The Rams back where they belong... in SoCal where we can despise them as they deserve.

I mean, I dislike the Seahawks but when it comes to real rivals no one tops The Los Angeles Lambs.
mwald

Post by mwald »

Kroenke's another big business man, won't try to paint it any different. But funny how the press hasn't gone out of their way to report how he's (apparently) footing most of the bill.

My only regret is no real grass. But maybe I presume too much. $1.7 billion might make that happen, too.
mwald

Post by mwald »

JuggernautJ wrote:
mwald wrote:Latest has Rams playing in the Coliseum this year. Sometimes dreams come true, Jiminy Cricket.

Agreed.
As a 'Niners Fan it will be nice to have The Rams back where they belong... in SoCal where we can despise them as they deserve.

I mean, I dislike the Seahawks but when it comes to real rivals no one tops The Los Angeles Lambs.
Had no idea you were a 49ers fan, Juggs.

So true, regardless of the juggernaut (sorry, couldn't resist) Seahawks have become, nothing replaces Rams-49ers rivalry.

Let the games begin!
nicefellow31

Post by nicefellow31 »

mwald wrote:Kroenke's another big business man, won't try to paint it any different. But funny how the press hasn't gone out of their way to report how he's (apparently) footing most of the bill.

My only regret is no real grass. But maybe I presume too much. $1.7 billion might make that happen, too.
Kroenke is footing the bill in L.A. but didn't want to pay for a stadium in St. Louis?
mwald

Post by mwald »

nicefellow31 wrote:
mwald wrote:Kroenke's another big business man, won't try to paint it any different. But funny how the press hasn't gone out of their way to report how he's (apparently) footing most of the bill.

Kroenke is footing the bill in L.A. but didn't want to pay for a stadium in St. Louis?
I suspect he never had a genuine interest in staying in St. Louis, and any dialogues there were just political machinations to get his team out of town.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

nicefellow31 wrote:

My understanding is Kroenke can finance a new stadium with one swipe of his debit card.