Relocation

LJP

Relocation

Post by LJP »

The Chargers, Raiders & Rams all filed paperwork with the NFL last week in attempts to relocate to Los Angeles.

The Rams want to build a stadium complex on the end of the LAX runway in Inglewood and the Chargers/Raiders are talking of a shared facility in Carson.

There is an owners meeting scheduled next Tuesday and Wednesday to debate and vote on the relevant proposals.

I can't imagine that all three will be granted their request, maybe two teams, sharing a stadium if necessary.

If the Chargers and Raiders bids are approved then there will be two Los Angeles teams in the AFC West. Both have said that they are willing to change division/conference if necessary and a straight swap with the 49ers would seem a logical fit.

Problem is, what happens if all three are granted? The Rams are already in the NFC West, so you would be stuck with two LA teams in the AFC West, with no logicial get out option.
Rupert Patrick

Re: Relocation

Post by Rupert Patrick »

During the CBS pregame their insider guy said that Jerry Jones had put together some sort of deal that was going to be presented at the Owners Meetings that would send the Chargers and Rams to LA and if I remember correctly they would share the new stadium together. I think there was also something about the possibility of a second stadium in the future but for now it would just be both teams in one stadium.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Is there a chance of two teams sharing a stadium in town and a third team (perhaps the Rams) playing in (returning to) Anaheim? Not that I'd at all be in favor of it (one team in LA, very preferably Rams, is enough) but just asking.
LJP

Post by LJP »

All options will apparently be discussed, so anything could happen.

I can't see the Raiders getting to move, based upon past history in particular. There is an option for them to share Levi's Stadium with the 49ers.

What happens if none of them are allowed to move? Can't be good for season ticket renewals, attendance and merchandising.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I really hope Chargers don't leave SD (Padres is all they'll have left), nor Raiders leave Oakland for LA or even...(sharing) Levi with Niners! Rams would be the only team I wouldn't mind but I would then feel a bit for StL. They're pretty passionate about their sports, not just baseball. Rams leaving wouldn't go quite as unnoticed as when the Cards left in '88. 'Greatest Show' Era seems to have helped keep their fan-base afloat even in these lean years. A brand-new expansion franchise in LA would make the most sense to me and, quite frankly, if LA doesn't get an NFL team again anytime soon...is it that bad? It's already been 20 years without one and the City of Angels, and NFL, still survived.

If it don't fit don't...
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

74_75_78_79_ wrote: a third team (perhaps the Rams) playing in (returning to) Anaheim? Not that I'd at all be in favor of it (one team in LA, very preferably Rams, is enough) but just asking.
I highly doubt it, since they expanded the stadium when the Rams moved their in 1980, then reduced it back down after they left. I can't see them going through that again.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

It's ironic that the Rams, the Raiders and the Chargers all applied to move back to Los Angeles.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

LJP wrote: If the Chargers and Raiders bids are approved then there will be two Los Angeles teams in the AFC West. Both have said that they are willing to change division/conference if necessary and a straight swap with the 49ers would seem a logical fit.
This feels like one of those quizzes with five choices.
Where is option "E: Strongly disagree?"

From when the 49ers joined the NFL the constants in the West (National Conference 1950-52, Western Conference 1953-66, Coastal Division 1967-70, Western Division 1970-Current*) have been the 49ers and the Rams.
Transferring either of those teams (and especially not both) would seem a travesty to generations of 49ers fans.

*Please let me know if any of these dates are in error.
mwald

Post by mwald »

Mark L. Ford wrote:It's ironic that the Rams, the Raiders and the Chargers all applied to move back to Los Angeles.
If someone would've told the Chargers, Rams, and Raiders in 1961 that all three would be asking permission to move back to Los Angeles in 55 years, all at the same time, it would've sounded like science fiction, like an alternate reality story one might read in an EC Comic book.
single wing

Post by single wing »

I hate the idea that cities like Oakland, San Diego, and St.Louis might all be without football teams. Those cities have long supported their teams. Then we might start the whole process of those cities going after other cities teams. The League has been stable for awhile but this might start a whole new process of teams jumping. I wish if they felt Los Angeles was ready for football that they did it the expansion way. I know expansion will not happen but i wish it did.