Super Bowl Golden Team plus the others

Reaser

Re: Super Bowl Golden Team plus the others

Post by Reaser »

These always seem like the best players to play in a Super Bowl rather than the players who played best in Super Bowl(s).

Like when is Marv Fleming going to get credit for being an excellent blocking TE and playing for so many championship teams?

And no surprise at Center, same situation - historically - with all-pro teams, always go with the Steelers center because they can't think of anyone else. I'm not sure Webster was even the best Steelers SB performing center they've ever had, might even be 3rd if you go by performance in the SB.

Deion Sanders has been my favorite (non-Seahawks) player since I saw him return a punt for TD on TV when he was playing for FSU. As a fan of his I'm glad he's on the '50 team', but no way was he one of the two best SB performing CB's in the first 49 games.

At least they got Joe Montana right.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

As much as I believe that Jack Ham and Lawrence Taylor are the two greatest at their position, judging only in Super Bowls, I would chose Chuck Howley and Ted Hendricks before them to the 50th aniversary team (and maybe Rod Martin and Derrick Brooks should enter the discussion).
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Teo wrote:As much as I believe that Jack Ham and Lawrence Taylor are the two greatest at their position, judging only in Super Bowls, I would chose Chuck Howley and Ted Hendricks before them to the 50th aniversary team (and maybe Rod Martin and Derrick Brooks should enter the discussion).
LT doesn't belong on a Super Bowl only team. Rod Martin might be one of my choices, Howley had 2 good games. Manny Fernandez at DT and others
conace21

Post by conace21 »

When people talk about Mike Webster's career, it always seems to start with his four Super Bowl rings. You rarely see a mention that he won two of those as a backup. I think Jeff Bostic would be a good candidate. He started for all three of Joe Gibbs' Super Bowl wins. That featured two record-setting rushing performances, by Riggins and Smith, and an overpowering effort against Buffalo.

Larry Allen is another player who should not be on this team. He never played for Jimmy Johnson; he only played in Super Bowl XXX. He had a crushing block on Greg Lloyd to spring Emmitt Smith on a 23 yard run, but for the rest of the day, Emmitt averaged about a yard and a half per carry. Hardly a dominating effort.

I would also supplant Franco Harris with Terrell Davis. Both men had MVP performances with 150+ rushing yards. Franco had three more Super Bowls, and his performances got worse every time. Davis' performance vs Atl doesn't get much notice, but he churned out 100 yards on the ground, and 50 through the air.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Reaser wrote:These always seem like the best players to play in a Super Bowl rather than the players who played best in Super Bowl(s).

Like when is Marv Fleming going to get credit for being an excellent blocking TE and playing for so many championship teams?
Well, there's an article about Fleming in an upcoming book about a Super Bowl team...
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Jay Z wrote:Well, there's an article about Fleming in an upcoming book about a Super Bowl team...
Yes, there is. Wonder who wrote that, ha ...
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

According to Amazon, George Bozeka ...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... rge+bozeka
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Reaser wrote:These always seem like the best players to play in a Super Bowl rather than the players who played best in Super Bowl(s).
I agree with this. It seems like every few years somebody comes out with an all-time Super Bowl team...my "litmus test" is to see if Manny Fernandez is on the team. If he's not on the team, then I'm skeptical of the rest of the selections. I think its interesting that of the 4 all-time Super Bowl teams that John Turney listed, the outdated 1985 team might still be the most accurate team. Some of the players on the most recent "Golden Team" are incredibly bad selections...Larry Allen? Deion Sanders? Lawrence Taylor? That just looks like a lack of effort.

I think an all-time Super Bowl team is ridiculously hard to select...you have some random players, you have an uneven number of games for most participants. I think a case can be made for Timmy Smith being the all-time SB RB...one game, 200+ yards. Same with Dan Ross at TE. I think the 3 highest passing totals in a Super Bowl are all held by Kurt Warner. Its also difficult with some strong candidates with numerous appearances having a clunker game mixed in. Jeff Bostic got his ass handed to him by Reggie Kinlaw in SB XVIII. Gene Upshaw got his ass handed to him by Henry Jordan in SB II. Anyway, here is my SB team, open for debate...

QB - Joe Montana...simply too many great games. Wanted to mention Kurt Warner, but his 1-2 record hurts him.
HB - Timmy Smith...put my money where my mouth is
FB - Larry Csonka...considered Riggins and Harris, but Csonka had two really good games as opposed to one.
WR – Jerry Rice
WR- Lynn Swann…an MVP, and big catches in two other SBs
TE – Marv Fleming
OTs – Joe Jacoby & Art Shell (noticed that Anthony Munoz made one of these SB all-time teams)
Gs – Bob Kuechenberg and…Gene Upshaw?
C – Jim Langer
DE – LC Greenwood…monster games in SB IX & X
DE – Charles Haley…don’t really know why. Martin and Dent have MVPs, and Willie Davis played great in first two SBs.
DT – Manny Fernandez…great in both SB VII & VIII, should have been MVP
NT/DT – Reggie Kinlaw…stuffed both offenses in his SBs. Made Dick Vermeil upset. Joe Greene was great in SB IX, but kind of average in the other 3 SBs. Randy White has an MVP, but how much does the cast fumble count against him?
OLB – Chuck Howley…I am surprised he has dropped off the SB radar. An MVP, and if he hadn’t stumbled out of bounds could have very easily been MVP of SB VI as well.
OLB – Ted Hendricks…this was a tough call. Rod Martin could have gotten this spot, but Hendricks causing the INT at the end of SB V gave him the nod.
MLB – Jack Lambert…dominating in SB X and XIV.
CB – Mel Blount…big INTs in SB IX and XIII, not really tested in SB X or XIV. Also considered Eric Wright, who had great games in SB XVI and XIX.
CB – Herb Adderely…TD return in SB II, key acquisition for Cowboys in SB V & VI who helped Doomsday shut down those offenses. Lester Hayes had two very good SBs as well.
S – Ronnie Lott
S – Jake Scott…one of my favorite players, has an MVP, probably not the best choice but hard for me to select this position.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Reaser wrote:
Jay Z wrote:Well, there's an article about Fleming in an upcoming book about a Super Bowl team...
Yes, there is. Wonder who wrote that, ha ...
Well, yeah. :) I did address Fleming's blocking quite a bit.