Predictions for 2016 class this upcoming weekend

HBGFBFAN

Predictions for 2016 class this upcoming weekend

Post by HBGFBFAN »

What is everyone's predictions for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2016?
The first 5 Modern Era Nominees to be eliminated from 15 to 10?
Who gets elminated from 10 to 5 nominees?
Which 5 nominees get elected?
My predictions of who gets elected this year are Eddie Debartolo, Tony Dungy, Brett Favre, Kevin Greene, Marvin Harrison, Orlando Pace, Ken Stabler and Dick Stanfel.
JohnTurney

Re: Predictions for 2016 class this upcoming weekend

Post by JohnTurney »

HBGFBFAN wrote:What is everyone's predictions for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2016?
The first 5 Modern Era Nominees to be eliminated from 15 to 10?
Who gets elminated from 10 to 5 nominees?
Which 5 nominees get elected?
My predictions of who gets elected this year are Eddie Debartolo, Tony Dungy, Brett Favre, Kevin Greene, Marvin Harrison, Orlando Pace, Ken Stabler and Dick Stanfel.
I while back I predicted the same 8, the only iffy one is Debartolo. Warner, Atwater. Coryell, TO and Faneca are my predictions for the top 10. The rest will get cut in first round.--that's my best guess.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

I also think it'll be Favre, Harrison, Greene, Pace, Dungy, Stabler, Stanfel, and DeBartolo. Most likely deviation would be Jacoby making a direct run in like Rickey Jackson did, supplanting either Dungy or Pace.

First 5 cuts: James, Faneca, Owens, Atwater, Coryell

Next 5 cuts: Jacoby, Warner, Davis, Lynch, Andersen
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

How can Stabler get in but Ken Anderson cannot. Just bizarre.
JWL

Post by JWL »

My predictions for this haven't been too good. I have no idea who will make the cut besides Brett Favre.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

NWebster wrote:How can Stabler get in but Ken Anderson cannot. Just bizarre.
Agreed. Anderson is a true elite stats QB in the mold of guys like Tittle, Fouts, and Jurgensen, and like them he has no championship wins. No idea why the other three sailed in and Anderson sits in the Senior pool.

Stabler is a very good QB with one SB win, and guys with that kind of resume have historically not gotten in with the exception of Joe Namath. He's pretty much like Joe Theismann and Phil Simms. And that doesn't even count the questions about possible point shaving related issues late in his career.

Will take heart in the idea that there's utterly no excuse for keeping out Anderson if Stabler is elected.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

bachslunch wrote:Agreed. Anderson is a true elite stats QB in the mold of guys like Tittle, Fouts, and Jurgensen, and like them he has no championship wins. No idea why the other three sailed in and Anderson sits in the Senior pool.
Not saying that its right or wrong, but I think Tittle/Fouts/Jurgensen put up some amazing passing statistics from a compiling standpoint. Jurgensen led the NFL in passing yards 5 times, Fouts 4 times (and led the NFL in yds/game 6 times). Tittle set TD records in 1962 and 1963.

I think Anderson put up some amazing passing statistics from an efficiency standpoint (although he did lead the league in passing yards in 1974-75). Anderson played 16 years and threw for over 3000 yards twice. Fouts had 3 straight 4000+ yard seasons.

I can see why Jurgensen and Fouts were enshrined. Tittle is a bit more questionable, IMO. I'd have no problem with Anderson getting in, and I would rather have Anderson in over Stabler if I am picking between the two.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Bryan wrote:Not saying that its right or wrong, but I think Tittle/Fouts/Jurgensen put up some amazing passing statistics from a compiling standpoint. Jurgensen led the NFL in passing yards 5 times, Fouts 4 times (and led the NFL in yds/game 6 times). Tittle set TD records in 1962 and 1963.

I think Anderson put up some amazing passing statistics from an efficiency standpoint (although he did lead the league in passing yards in 1974-75). Anderson played 16 years and threw for over 3000 yards twice. Fouts had 3 straight 4000+ yard seasons.

I can see why Jurgensen and Fouts were enshrined. Tittle is a bit more questionable, IMO. I'd have no problem with Anderson getting in, and I would rather have Anderson in over Stabler if I am picking between the two.
I agree that Anderson doesn't really compare to Jurgensen, Fouts and Tittle. As for Tittle, though, I think you're selling him short. He did amass some outstanding totals for his career, but perhaps more to the point, he was an MVP selection in FOUR different seasons. (Chosen in 1957 by UPI; 1961 by NEA, which I believe was voted by the players; 1962 by UPI and the Sporting News; and 1963 by AP, the Sporting News and NEA, where he tied with Brown.) That's a hell of a resume. Off the top of my head, I think Jim Brown, Unitas and Manning are the only others you can say that about.
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

One thing I've been pondering of late is something Canadians will immediately understand, but Americans might not get: the Paul Henderson theory of Hall of Fame membership. There's a push up here to get Paul Henderson into the Hockey Hall of Fame. He was a guy who, on his career stats, isn't remotely close to belonging. But in the most important week in the history of hockey, he came up huge and scored three game-winning goals in the three games Team Canada won in the Soviet Union, including the goals to tie, and then win, the last game to win the series for Canada. His last goal, the game winner, is the most famous goal scored in the history of hockey, and you quite literally can't tell the history of hockey without talking about Henderson.

I tend to think that Namath and Swann both fall into that category. Swann doesn't get a sniff without his performances in Super Bowl X and XIII, which obviously were pretty legendary (especially X). Namath's guarantee followed by the win is one of those essential narratives of NFL history, without which the history of the game is incomplete. Maybe he gets in if they lose, but it would be closer to Swann's 14 times as a finalist than the three it actually took him.

When we talk about Stabler versus Anderson, I completely agree that on the numbers, Anderson should be in and Stabler is questionable. But isn't there a degree to which Stabler gets alot closer in the same way Swann and Namath do, and in a way which Anderson is lacking? Or am I just nuts?
JWL

Post by JWL »

Jeremy Crowhurst wrote:When we talk about Stabler versus Anderson, I completely agree that on the numbers, Anderson should be in and Stabler is questionable. But isn't there a degree to which Stabler gets alot closer in the same way Swann and Namath do, and in a way which Anderson is lacking? Or am I just nuts?
You are not nuts about that. Stabler beats Anderson pretty severely in the "Fame" aspect. One can tell the history of the NFL without mentioning Anderson (Bill Walsh passing attack could be noted without mentioning the quarterbacks). It would be more difficult to do so without mentioning Stabler.