A 6-year HOF plan, just wow

JohnTurney

Re: A 6-year HOF plan, just wow

Post by JohnTurney »

bachslunch wrote:John, question. When you say "Browner gets nothing," what do you mean by that? Do you mean "not qualified?" Just curious.

Personally, I think he's qualified, though definitely in the big-hall category. Deron Cherry, too.
No, I agree agreeing with Nick, Brown gets no push, no publicity. I think he's qualified ... sometimes in posting I get too brief... wasn't commenting on his candacy. However, Browner, I am told was not a smart player like Cherry or Dawkins or some of the other super smart safeties, Lott... he had to have the coverages repeated to him, he only knew whare he was supposed to go, whereas others secondary "qbs" knew where everyone was supposed to be, stuff like that, he frustrated the Viking coaches
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Some interesting names on the list. Its hard to separate who I think should get in, and then predict who I think will get in. I don’t think Hines Ward and Isaac Bruce should get in, but who knows. Holt is borderline for me. Its hard for me to believe that in a 3-year stretch all 3 of those WRs get in.

Lynch is not a HOFer in my book. I don’t know how he made so many pro bowls with the Broncos. His last two seasons in Denver feature no INTs, a fumble recovery, a sack, a 28th ranked D in 2007, and two pro bowls. Don’t get me wrong, Lynch was a very good safety, but I think there is a clear level of distinction between Dawkins/Reed/Polamalu and Lynch.

I wasn’t a big fan of Russ Grimm getting in…it seemed like a big push to elect more guys from those Redskins teams and specifically the Hogs…and I feel kind of the same way about Jacoby. I think Jacoby has a slight bit more going for him than Grimm, but I’d rather see Mike Kenn get in (which has about a 0.5% chance of happening).

I think there are too many eligible safeties for Browner to distinguish himself. I remember him being the highest rated guy in the first Madden Sega game (15’s across the board), but in real life I don’t think he was better than Atwater or even Nolan Cromwell.

Ronde Barber is an interesting choice. A zone CB when most people prefer cover CBs. I thought Barber was tough and routinely made big plays for Tampa. I don’t know how much of the system he played in will factor into his HOF discussion.
paulksandiego

Post by paulksandiego »

I'd rather have Barber in the HOF than Lynch, however I don't endorse either one. I always thought Lynch was very overrated, especially among the fans, whose votes probably had something to do with his making those last few Pro Bowls.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

paulksandiego wrote:I'd rather have Barber in the HOF than Lynch, however I don't endorse either one. I always thought Lynch was very overrated, especially among the fans, whose votes probably had something to do with his making those last few Pro Bowls.
Certainly not impossible he made a pro bowl or so on reputation. FWIW, I've heard the idea that oftentimes one doesn't make a pro bowl or two in the first years of deserving play and makes a pro bowl or two on reputation at the end. My guess is that it all balances out.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

paulksandiego wrote:I'd rather have Barber in the HOF than Lynch, however I don't endorse either one. I always thought Lynch was very overrated, especially among the fans, whose votes probably had something to do with his making those last few Pro Bowls.
For sure both players are big-hall types, and that probably goes for Ty Law also. Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson are likely less so. Arguably the most small-hall post-2000 CB will end up being Darrelle Revis at the rate he's going.
Last edited by bachslunch on Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

NWebster wrote:Is kasczmak an actual voter?

I do read Football Outsiders but didn't realize any of them have votes. I'll respectfully, emohasis on respectfully, say most of the and the Pro Football Focus guys at least a knowledge in articles that this is 2007 tk Dat or 1991 to Dat or otherwise. But I don't know that j want any of those guys picking Lynch over Browner or Dawkins o er Cherry, the latter being admittedly tight - i watched them both. I know kashmir and florio, et al didn't.
Spr ng fo a nww iPhome, Nick.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Why is Leroy Butler never in this conversation? A 4-time first team All-Pro (to 2 for Lynch, 2 for Atwater, and 3 for Browner) and a member of the all-90s team, along with Atwater (Lott and Carnell Lake are on the second team).
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

rhickok1109 wrote:Why is Leroy Butler never in this conversation? A 4-time first team All-Pro (to 2 for Lynch, 2 for Atwater, and 3 for Browner) and a member of the all-90s team, along with Atwater (Lott and Carnell Lake are on the second team).
he could also cover well, played some CB and could blitz, same with Lake, skill-wise, anyway, Butler and lake did things other safeties couldn't do as well. Browner played some CB, but if memory serves, he wasn't very good at it, great on special teams, though.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JohnTurney wrote:
rhickok1109 wrote:Why is Leroy Butler never in this conversation? A 4-time first team All-Pro (to 2 for Lynch, 2 for Atwater, and 3 for Browner) and a member of the all-90s team, along with Atwater (Lott and Carnell Lake are on the second team).
he could also cover well, played some CB and could blitz, same with Lake, skill-wise, anyway, Butler and lake did things other safeties couldn't do as well. Browner played some CB, but if memory serves, he wasn't very good at it, great on special teams, though.
Wolf said yesterday,
“LeRoy deserves to be in that conversation,” Wolf said in a telephone interview. “He was the quintessential safety. He could do everything you needed a safety to do -- he could play at the line of scrimmage, he could tackle, he could cover man-to-man, he could dog (blitz). He had no weakness.
mwald

Post by mwald »

JohnTurney wrote:
JohnTurney wrote:
Wolf said yesterday,
“LeRoy deserves to be in that conversation,” Wolf said in a telephone interview. “He was the quintessential safety. He could do everything you needed a safety to do -- he could play at the line of scrimmage, he could tackle, he could cover man-to-man, he could dog (blitz). He had no weakness.
Well, considering their Packers' careers coincided almost exactly (yep, I know he didn't draft him), I'd consider those the comments of a homer.

Not that they aren't accurate.