Mt. Rushmore of Follies

slats7

Re: Mt. Rushmore of Follies

Post by slats7 »

Rupert Patrick wrote:Somebody in the 80's (Drew Pearson I think) tore up his knee doing an end zone TD celebration and missed the rest of the season.
1979 vs the Giants. He jumped in the air to spike the football after a TD, landing awkwardly and spraining his knee. Landry, who was miffed, made him stay in the game and run a fly route on the very next series .. for another TD.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

slats7 wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote:Somebody in the 80's (Drew Pearson I think) tore up his knee doing an end zone TD celebration and missed the rest of the season.
1979 vs the Giants. He jumped in the air to spike the football after a TD, landing awkwardly and spraining his knee. Landry, who was miffed, made him stay in the game and run a fly route on the very next series .. for another TD.
not a folly, but a good vid anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psZqY5D1KhI
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

JohnTurney wrote:
slats7 wrote:
not a folly, but a good vid anyway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psZqY5D1KhI
A person should respect the right of others to choose what they feel is a folly.
This is not entirely a dictatorship. Or is it?
The less-informed are hardly positioned to be critical, but...

"To laugh at men of sense is the privilege of fools"
~ Mahatma Gandhi
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

oldecapecod11 wrote: A person should respect the right of others to choose what they feel is a folly.
This is not entirely a dictatorship. Or is it?
The less-informed are hardly positioned to be critical, but...

"To laugh at men of sense is the privilege of fools"
~ Mahatma Gandhi
I usually do not respond to this kind of thing, but the reference to "not a folly" was to my video of Drew Pearson throwing up. The quotes were to show the connection to the video.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Rupert Patrick wrote:How about the Holy Roller?
It's not a folly if you're trying to do it. Unless you think the joke is on the NFL for not anticipating that play.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Teo wrote:
BD Sullivan wrote:The Tampa Bay kicker who makes a weak attempt at kicking the ball AFTER it's been blocked against Minnesota.
Neil O'Donoghue, and it's my favorite follie due to the superb NFL Films angle.

Bears punter Bob Parsons was tackled in a very funny way: he was hit and lost many yards due to that.
The O'Donoghue one was good and is Mt. Rushmore worthy.

Some people mentioned the Leon Lett plays and the Joe Pisarcik botched handoff. I am not sure those are all that funny. To me, a great folly is something that a little kid, who has no concept of the magnitude of the play or game, would find to be hilarious.
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

The thing that makes Leon Lett II so great is the little anecdote from Bill Bates, at about the 1:40 mark of the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUYVifM0vCQ

A little girl came up to him and said, "Gosh, Leon, don't worry about it. Last year during the Super Bowl, there was this guy that...."
JWL

Post by JWL »

One time while playing for the Eagles vs the Bears, Roman Gabriel lined up behind the left guard before realizing his error. He then moved over to get behind the center to take the snap. Gabriel then proceeded to throw an interception.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

JWL wrote:One time while playing for the Eagles vs the Bears, Roman Gabriel lined up behind the left guard before realizing his error. He then moved over to get behind the center to take the snap. Gabriel then proceeded to throw an interception.
John Elway did the same thing in his very first start in 1983 versus the Steelers. Steve Bartkowski also lined up behind the guard in a 1979 game. When he got himself straightened out, he threw the game-winning touchdown pass in an upset over the Chargers.