NBA approves on-jersey advertising

JuggernautJ

NBA approves on-jersey advertising

Post by JuggernautJ »

Today patches, tomorrow the FedEx (now Memphis) Grizzlies.
What's next? Corporate color alternative jerseys? The Disney Rams?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15210 ... ng-2017-18

Another sign of the impending apocalypse.
I predict in ten years I won't be watching any professional sports.
JWL

Re: NBA approves on-jersey advertising

Post by JWL »

JuggernautJ wrote:I predict in ten years I won't be watching any professional sports.
I predict I will be watching less than what I watch now. I don't follow the WNBA but I have watched parts of games through the years. I managed only about 10 seconds before I was turned off by the advertising on the uniforms.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

It's interesting that the top Soccer clubs in Europe use advertising, but I concur that the uniqueness of the four major sports in the USA was them free of logos.

In Mexico the local Soccer clubs have plenty of advertisting (some have up to 6 or 7 brands, even printed in their shorts and socks!).
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Football already possesses more insidious examples of this with corporate named stadiums and bowl games. Perhaps the most outrageous example of this was the excising of Jack Murphy's name from San Diego's stadium.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Football already possesses more insidious examples of this with corporate named stadiums and bowl games. Perhaps the most outrageous example of this was the excising of Jack Murphy's name from San Diego's stadium.
Ralph Wilson Stadium in Orchard Park, NY got re-named in the opposite way. It was named Rich Stadium until 1997. (Rich Products Corporation)
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

The perpetually cash strapped CFL has had advertising on their jerseys and fields for years now. I don't like it but I get it. For the big four leagues, though, it's just another pathetic money grab.
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

For better or worse this is the natural progession of things. I'm surprised it took this long for an American pro sports league to do this. What with the growing popularity of Nascar and *retches* European soccer.