Steve Atwater: Canton or Nay?

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Shrevedude

Steve Atwater: Canton or Nay?

Post by Shrevedude »

Steve Atwater is unlikely to get in the Pro Football HOF anytime soon, since the voters seemed to have soured on him this year after being a finalist last year, but do all of you feel he has a chance to get in soon?

Atwater was a had a very unique, hard-hitting defense, and set some Broncos defensive records, but the fact that safeties aren't looked at very strongly to the HOF voters definitely has hurt his chances.

I doubt he will get in as a Modern-Era candidate, personally, but I think he may get in 20 years from now as a Senior Candidate.
sluggermatt15

Re: Steve Atwater: Canton or Nay?

Post by sluggermatt15 »

IMO this is a very interesting argument.

Atwater's career stats are Top 10 for safeties of all-time. His awards speak volumes, too. If you look at rankings of greatest safeties of all-time, Atwater is Top 10 on at least a few of those lists:

http://www.nbcsports.com/greatest-safeties-nfl-history

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/the-10 ... ?a=viewall

http://www.trendingtoplists.com/top-15- ... fl-history

So, given belief he is one of the best ever at his position, Atwater ought to be in the HOF. I share the belief that only the best players EVER to play professional football in the NFL deserve such honors. BUT I think he didn't get in isn't because writers, fans, historians, et. al don't believe Steve Atwater is one of the best ever, rather, it's because who he was going up against for election. Some of the other candidates may have been more deserving. I think eventually if Brian Dawkins, Rodney Harrison, and Troy Polamalu are elected, and I have no doubt they will, Atwater will be too. Opinions could be shared that voters want to get other players in sooner or quicker. Atwater may not be one of them.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

I think Steve Atwater (2/8/90s) is eminently HoF qualified. His falling out of the finalist pool this year isn't going to help him, but he's not out of the picture. He has seven eligible years left, and if all of Lynch, Dawkins, Reed, and Polamalu get elected (and I think they will, maybe quickly -- Dawkins next year after a years wait, Reed in 2019 as a very likely first ballot type, Polamalu in 2020 as the best first time candidate by a good bit), he's got a good chance of making it back in the finals with a couple years to spare. I know, I know, the HoF doesn't like safeties, but the Dawkins/Reed/Polamalu trio may get special treatment and that will help if so.

If he falls into the Senior pool, it could be a long wait for him. Hopefully that doesn't happen. But we'll see.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Been working on LBers and S career stats...will post this spring at some point...but Atwater seems to have a very good chance of getting in at some point. Think Dawkins this year, Reed the next, then...maybe Atwater's turn
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

I also don't think Rodney Harrison (3/2/none) has a HoF argument. Darren Sharper aside, when folks like Atwater, Leroy Butler (4/4/90s), Darren Woodson (4/5/none), Deron Cherry (3/6/80s), and Joey Browner (3/6/80s) can't get a sniff, I don't see a case for Harrison jumping ahead of them.
Last edited by bachslunch on Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

bachslunch wrote:I also don't think Rodney Harrison (3/2/none) has a HoF argument. Darren Sharper aside, when folks like Atwater, Leroy Butler (4/4/90s), Darren Woodson (4/5/none), Deron Cherry (3/6/80s), and Joey Browner (3/6/80S) can't get a sniff, I don't see a case for Harrison jumping ahead of them.
Though he does have a weekly podium to make his case. :D