who was the Packers player...

falconfan58

who was the Packers player...

Post by falconfan58 »

that slammed Jim Mcmahon on his shoulder after the ball was gone when JM played for the Bears?I think he wore a towel with certain Bears players numbers as a "hit list".I sorta remember a coach for the Bears,might of been Ditka ,saying they had to hold players back from going after him.
Mark Durr

Re: who was the Packers player...

Post by Mark Durr »

Charles "Too Mean" Martin, Green Bay defensive lineman:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2005 ... l-american
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

falconfan58 wrote:that slammed Jim Mcmahon on his shoulder after the ball was gone when JM played for the Bears?I think he wore a towel with certain Bears players numbers as a "hit list".I sorta remember a coach for the Bears,might of been Ditka ,saying they had to hold players back from going after him.
Something that most people forget is that the pass was intercepted by Mark Lee, so Martin could've blocked McMahon (from the front) when Lee returned the pick. In that case, I don't think that Chicago-native referee Jerry Markbreit (working his first game in the Windy City in his 11-year career do to fellow referee Fred Silva recovery of a heart surgery) would've even flagged Martin, and maybe he would not have been selected as the referee of Super Bowl XXI (It's widely said that how he handled Martin's ejection got him the Super Bowl assignment).
Last edited by Gary Najman on Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

Teo wrote:
falconfan58 wrote:that slammed Jim Mcmahon on his shoulder after the ball was gone when JM played for the Bears?I think he wore a towel with certain Bears players numbers as a "hit list".I sorta remember a coach for the Bears,might of been Ditka ,saying they had to hold players back from going after him.
Something that most people forget is that the pass was intercepted by Mark Lee, so Martin could've blocked McMahon (from the front) when Lee returned the pick. In that case, I don't think that Chicago-native referee Jerry Markbreit (working his first game in the Windy City in his 11-year career do to fellow referee Fred Silva recovery of a heart surgery) would've even flagged Martin, and maybe he would not have been selected as the referee of Super Bowl XXI (It's widelty said that how he handled Martin's ejection got him the Super Bowl assingment).
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/thir ... ory-102016
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
conace21

Post by conace21 »

I always thought the Packers caught a break. Martin's hit was so late, it didn't qualify as roughing the passer. If he had hit McMahon a couple seconds earlier, it would have been a roughing the passer penalty that wiped out the interception. Chicago would have kept possession. Instead, Green Bay lost 15 yards, but the interception stood.
Last edited by conace21 on Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

That was the low point of what was probably the most dire year in the Packers' near-century-long history. Not only were they out of control on the field and off (four arrests? five?), but the roster was full of starters who would have a hard time surviving the first pre-season cut for other teams. Not in my wildest imagination would I have predicted how they would soon become a model NFL franchise and remain so for a quarter century and counting.
nicefellow31

Post by nicefellow31 »

Teo wrote:
Something that most people forget is that the pass was intercepted by Mark Lee, so Martin could've blocked McMahon (from the front) when Lee returned the pick. In that case, I don't think that Chicago-native referee Jerry Markbreit (working his first game in the Windy City in his 11-year career do to fellow referee Fred Silva recovery of a heart surgery) would've even flagged Martin, and maybe he would not have been selected as the referee of Super Bowl XXI (It's widely said that how he handled Martin's ejection got him the Super Bowl assignment).
I'm a little confused on what point you are making. If it was a legal block from the front, then of course there would be no flag. At least one would hope so. :shock: :shock: Also Markbreit had already served as referee in Super Bowl XVII and went on to do two more after XXI so I would think he would've been considered regardless of this incident.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

nicefellow31 wrote:
Teo wrote:
I'm a little confused on what point you are making. If it was a legal block from the front, then of course there would be no flag. At least one would hope so. :shock: :shock: Also Markbreit had already served as referee in Super Bowl XVII and went on to do two more after XXI so I would think he would've been considered regardless of this incident.
Markbreit was very high regarded, no question about it, and he was always a perennial playoff referee, but that call gave him right then the Super Bowl (I'm not saying that he would not have been considered had it not make it, but in his own book he also admits thet Pete Rozelle praised him how he handled the situation). As for Martin and McMahon, my point was the the pass was intercepted and returned it (and that highlight is never shown, it appears if someone doesn't know that it was an incomplete pass).