Tackle stats

falconfan58

Tackle stats

Post by falconfan58 »

I know the number of tackles a player had is subjective,but what source of info would you sugest to use?Because one souce has one player with the most,another(pro football archives) has another leading.Would the NFL reods be the best,or someone else?
thanks
bachslunch

Re: Tackle stats

Post by bachslunch »

I can't think of anything short of looking at every play from 1920 to now and counting the tackles yourself, using the same criteria each time. For me, this stat is all over the place in terms of standards and I can't take it seriously enough to think it matters. Others may disagree, of course.
rhickok1109

Re: Tackle stats

Post by rhickok1109 »

bachslunch wrote:I can't think of anything short of looking at every play from 1920 to now and counting the tackles yourself, using the same criteria each time. For me, this stat is all over the place in terms of standards and I can't take it seriously enough to think it matters. Others may disagree, of course.
I agree. It's much more important where the tackle is made, with DLs and LBs. Too often you see one of those defenders get pushed back and they finally get off the block and tackle the runner from behind after a sizable gain.

I remember a Parcells press conference when he went out of his way to praise Jim Burt. Parcells said something like, "He hardly ever makes a tackle, but he's responsible for most of the tackles that the linebackers make."